Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-06-2012, 02:54 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Still a very small tank for you :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Geek View Post
My Thanksgiving weekend project.

36x18x24 65 gallon reef upgrade (worried pug not included). Going to consolidate my two reefs into the 65 gallon, turn the 25 gallon cube into a frag rack tank, turn the bowfront 26 gallon back into my bedroom goldfish tank, sell the 35 gallon hexagon tank & stand alone.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:31 AM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

I agree, wife does not. Had my eye on a 90 gallon cube but it seems my wife holds the voting share... boo.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:46 AM

Quote:
I agree, wife does not. Had my eye on a 90 gallon cube but it seems my wife holds the voting share... boo.
You can get one on Christmas! Just silently bring it into the house and the next day when you wife sees it, just tell her that Santa gave it to you
Old 10-07-2012, 02:44 AM
BATfishMAN

what a long day with lots of bucket & tank lugging...

Here's the 65 gallon with live rock and corals consolidated from the two smaller tanks (25 gal cube & 26 gal bowfront). The corals have just been put back into the tank and I've yet to re-arrange. Water is still cloudy of course on all tanks. I made a bold move that some may not agree... I sawed off the center brace at the top tank frame to accommodate the clip on Skkye 92w LED. I'm ok with it, others will disagree. Tank measures 36x18x24.

25 gal cube is now mostly empty with sand. I'll be building a frag rack soon to grow out my smaller pieces. Water still cloudy from the rock extraction.

oh the humanity! 26 gal bowfront now a goldfish tank in my bedroom. Again, water still cloudy from set up.

38 gal Hexagon tank now empty. Will post separately for sale.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:51 AM
BATfishMAN

Day 2 after 65 gallon reef has been set up with corals & live rock from the 2 smaller tanks. Water has cleared up in most tanks. Very few pieces of corals lost... but I did lose a few that fell onto each other over night.

Built a frag rack for the 25 gallon cube.
frag rack built from egg crate, zip ties, & 3/4" diameter pvc.
4" height shelf is 13"x13"
8" height shelf is 13"x9"
12" height shelf is 13"x5"

65 gallon reef is clearing up... but I just re-arranged the corals this evening and got a bunch of them to slime up as I molested them. So the skimmer is going a bit nuts, I've had to open up the flow rate quite a bit to keep it from overflowing... so micro bubbles are everywhere.

I've taken some egg crate and zip ties to make a "fish jump preventer" on the open top. Now I can get cool fish like jawfish, fairy wrasses, and anthias!

Full tank shot. Amphiprion ocellaris and Amphiprion percula are mingling... silly clowns.

I know you are all worried... but the goldfish are all doing ok too (day 2 after move)

Last edited by Reef_Geek; 10-08-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:43 AM
BATfishMAN

65 gal reef, now without micro bubbles

added mummy-eye chalice from Gold's Aquarium

Added Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon) from Gold's Aquarium

Frag tank

added Purple Dottyback (Pseudochromis porphyreus) to frag tank from Nixon

Synchiropus picturatus came out a few times.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:35 AM
BATfishMAN

Synchiropus picturatus. This guy just loves swimming around my tank without a care. My Synchiropus splendidus (same tank) is seen maybe once every second day.

Bought the nice Two Little Fishies veggie magnet. Yep, over priced for what it is... but worth it to me. I'm clipping nori and don't have to fuss with a suction cup... or as previously, trying to wedge the nori in my glass cleaning magnets.

PS- nori $3.29 for a 20 sheet pack at Superstore. Roasted nori, for sushi.

This cryptic bugger... had this guy for about 3 weeks. Finally caught a photo! He's a Geometric Hawkfish (Plectranthias inermis) which is actually not a true hawkfish member... but more closely related to Anthias. Just convergent evolution to the same behaviour of perching and ambushing prey.

3 foot 65 gal reef Oct 13, 2012.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:05 AM

Got a beautiful purple dottyback myself. The six line wrasse did the worst thing in his life by challenging the dottyback and ended up on the carpet I hope the dottyback doesn't get ****ed on my clown and firefish.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:52 PM
BATfishMAN

my purple dotty's been ok with the pair of small A.percula (1.5" ea) in the 25gal frag tank. I understand they get aggressive, primarily towards other basslet types or look-a-likes, and aggression is exacerbated with limited space in a smaller tank.

Is there possibility your sixline jumped independent of your dotty?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
my purple dotty's been ok with the pair of small A.percula (1.5" ea) in the 25gal frag tank. I understand they get aggressive, primarily towards other basslet types or look-a-likes, and aggression is exacerbated with limited space in a smaller tank.

Is there possibility your sixline jumped independent of your dotty?
Nop sixline jumped because of being harassed by the dottyback. I would say it was sixline's fault since he started the fight when dotty was introduced.

Now he is being a bit aggressive towards the firefish but to my utter surprise, the clowns the defending the firefish :O Whenever the dotty would come towards firefish, they would rush to the scene and the dotty would move to his side. Such a wonderful thing! I hope his aggression towards firefish comes down. He is just too pretty to be taken out and I can't find any other pretty fish which is reef safe.

BTW sorry for hijacking your thread :$