Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-19-2010, 11:51 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I hauled in the leg tank today, and then sent the other half off to the hardware store for supplies. So maybe tonight, or this weekend, it will be set up and chugging along making water. Its going to be part of an automatic water change system. I'm so excited not to have to lug water around anymore. Its going to be awesome!

Upended In my kitchen

From above

From inside

This thing is going to be awesome!
Old 10-20-2010, 12:18 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
Wider like left to right wider? I certinaly don't see why not.

The overflow was a fantastic idea from Kevin at Red Coral. The shape is to help keep the detritus moving the in proper directions. We went with 2" drains for the amount of flow.

So if I were to make it wider are you thinking double the current width? I think its already about a foot wide, but I think 2ft would be easily possible.

As for return volume, I actually am trying to think of it more along the lines of flow strength; low when we get started, medium as things grow in, and full-out when the tank is fully stocked and full of life. I know we're going to be using two Dart pumps for the return. I never really thought of it was a number as much as I am trying to focus on keeping the water oxygenated, and minimizing my own work in cleaning the detritus.

The reason I ask is because if you are going to use the return for a fair amount of flow in the DT I might be a little worried that a one foot overflow may not be able to handle that kind of volume, or it may be noisy. I have 4' of overflow and your tank is way larger than mine. On the other hand Kevin certainly knows what he is doing so it's probably fine.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:02 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I'd personally do a pair of them 2 feet wide each but that's just me. That stock tank is awesome! Even my 20g gets nasty after one mix it's going to be labour intensive to clean that beast especially with the ribs catching some leftovers. Not much you can do tho I will do the same one day.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:01 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Holy crap Girly....that storage tank is bigger than you!
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 10-20-2010, 01:27 PM

I'm definitely going to think more on that overflow. It is a lot of water, and I want to make sure it all runs smoothly all the time! Although due to the shape and accessiblity in of the tank room behind the tank, the overflow is probably only going to potentially be widened on that back left hand side. I'm starting to think about making it 3ft or 4ft wide now.

The stock tank is pretty cool. Its ridiculously light, and was super easy to source and pick up. As for cleaning that baby out my master plan is use the hose! The tank will stay in place, and I'll just run a hose from the sink to the tank. The access hatch at the top is 12" across which gives me lots of room to get an arm in an direct some water flow from the hose. I loath the monthly job of cleaning out my own 30g water barrels now, so I thought this one through, and paid the extra for the 12" opening over an 8".

We're going to start assembling the water change system tonight, we've got most of our plumbing from the hardware store, but some of the specialty stuff is going to require a trip to my favorite SW store here in town.

I also got my last quote last night, which makes me extremely excited. I do have one more person that was suggested to me that I also want to approach for a quote, but the original list of companies have all been spoken to and I've got numbers and details back from all of them.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:59 PM

Wow, its been busy here. So we've selected our builder, and we're taking holidays this winter, the first time ever for us. I'm also tweaking the size of the original overflow, I need something to handle max 6000gph. The tank should be installed in December if my schedule and the builder's works out.

I'll take some photos tonight of the tank room, its been progressing. The leg tank is installed, and they layout has been affirmed. Its now just a matter of finding some time to finish it, and then paint/seal the walls against the humidity and the salt.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:33 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

I'd be really interested in hearing more about your automatic water change system. I am just about to start plumbing mine, but it's not to late for me to change the design. Are you doing automatic or continuous?

- Brad
Old 10-27-2010, 03:00 PM

I'll post a better and more descriptive explanation tonight on that portion of the system.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Oh come on. Who'd you go with and are you building on-site?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:31 PM

We've selected Concept Aquariums to build for us, and they'll be doing it all on site! We got quotes from 5 separate vendors, and ultimately Concept's quote best fit into our goals.

As for the water change system, I am lame, I went home from work, tossed some laundry into wash and promptly feel asleep at around 7:45pm. I'll do better with those photos tonight.