Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Where are you ordering the tank from Catherine? I can tell you that I got an awesome deal and an amazing tank from Jay so I highly recommend him!

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:49 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I'm requoting with all the places I originally quoted which were Red Coral, Bow Valley, and Golds. So PM me Jay's details and I'll add him to my list of quotes to request.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:44 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road

Catherine, sent you a PM

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Glad to see 'big red' and pals on the sexyRadar again. Keep those updates coming!

Edit: hmmm...and just in case you have red hair (and I have forgotten and you women always makes changes anyways) 'big red' refers to your tank stand
Old 09-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

What are the angled walls on the overflow for? Just to keep detritus from settling in it? Or am I looking at the drawing wrong?

With all those holes I'm guess you must be using a 3/4" bottom minimum. What did your previous builders suggest? All those bulkheads personally scare me but if I knew they'd never be an issue I'd do a CL as well. Most have dismissed them but I will be using one on the next build. Only difference is I'm taking all my piping over the top of the tank. Never an issue so long is inlet and outlet always remain submerged in an outage.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:51 PM

Hahah, I do have red hair right now, but I knew you were talking about the stand!

The angled walls on the overflow are exactly for that, less detritus, and thus less cleaning! You're reading it correctly.

I think we'd talked about 3/4" or even 1" for the bottom. I believe it was 7/8 or 1" for the back and side panels. I had one builder tell me they would consider, but couldn't promise, low-iron for the front and side viewing panels.

I had one tank with the piping over the top. The only complaint I have about it is the salt creep. It took me extra long to clean it every week, and I found it collected more salt then anywhere else. Other then that I loved it!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:40 PM

I've starting asking around for quotes, and so far I've been really happy with what I've been hearing back. 6 months makes a big difference in cost, and available options! So thank you everyone who PMed me recommendations, ideas, and suggestions. They'e all been very helpful. We'll be ready to make a decision as soon as all of our quotes are in.

I'm dying to get this thing moving!

We've been keeping ourselves semi occupied by chasing down some power problems we've been having in rooms around the tank room.

Yay! Hidden splices, just what we all want to find in our walls.

Explanation granted for why half the plugs in the basement don't work.

A couple sort of related, but not really, photos from our trip this past weekend. We went out to B.C. and saw the salmon run.

Last edited by michika; 10-13-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:10 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road

Great pic's. It's a really nice event to see.

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:38 PM

My skimmer is so nasty it just about made me sick when I cleaned it this morning. Ugh! Great skimmer, but it produces the most foul smelling crap I've ever smelt.

I spoke with Paul at Oceans Motions and got a few really great recommendations for tweaking the design as we had it. So now I just have to wait on one more quote and we'll make our choice on builders.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:08 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

What was the skimmer you have again? Did you guys build it? Looks like a 3 injector beckett? Or is it something else. I have this vague recollection of a skimmer broken in transit but can't remember if that was you or someone else. I looked back a few pages but grew weary of not instantly finding the info I sought so I'm just asking here. Besides, asking in a thread is the same as googling stuff.