Old 02-09-2012, 01:50 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

beneath them?
Old 02-09-2012, 02:30 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
beneath them?
Not really, but mostly engineers design the stuff technicians end up fixing. An oven, like many things is composed of components engineered by different flavours of engineers. Mechanical for the structural & moving parts, electrical for the... electrical & electronics. Technicians/repairmen are generally trained to know how to repair anything on the appliance. Techs have a lower level of engineering knowledge, but are well trained in troubleshooting the item they need to repair. There are of course different flavours of techs as well & depending on the complexity of the device to be repaired, they'll be quite specialized as well.

To the OP, if it's going to cost close to $300 to replace the control board, you might consider springing for a spanking new stove.

Last edited by mike31154; 02-09-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:48 PM

VFX is on a distinguished road

Engineers, technicians, enthusiasts, hobbyists, geeks, lovers, sinners, annoying arrogant @$$holes or whatever... it's totally irrelevent.

Whoever has some knowledge & can help then great (regardless of what term you may use to describe them).

Those being pedantic about nomenclature... meh... go annoy someone else - I have an oven to fix.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

My Kenmore stove had one button (the start button of course) stop working and I had to replace the entire control board...$519 plus install and taxes. Tried everything to find it cheaper but had no luck. Are any of the controls that no longer function "touch" based?

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Engineers, technicians, enthusiasts, hobbyists, geeks, lovers, sinners, annoying arrogant @$$holes or whatever... it's totally irrelevent.

Whoever has some knowledge & can help then great (regardless of what term you may use to describe them).

Those being pedantic about nomenclature... meh... go annoy someone else - I have an oven to fix.
+1 I need some more of Florence's magnificent cupcakes, my body is in withdrawal symptoms....
Old 02-09-2012, 07:51 PM

Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Engineers don't fix appliances.... Just saying
Your right, their too busy driving trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFX View Post

Hopefully it works out for you.
When you do final resolve the issue, keep us informed.
I have to assist my brother with the same problem.
67 Gallon Mixed Reef, Modular LED Lights

Send in the Clowns - Clown Fish Breeding
5 Gallon Fry Hatchery and 15 Gallon Clown Grow Out Tank

Last edited by Ross; 02-09-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:09 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

I want cupcakes too!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:07 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

There was no intention of being annoying or any of those other words you mentioned it just seems to me that you're looking for appliance repair technician or someone with relevant experience to help you out. Perhaps you might get more attention from such people by calling out for something that actually exists.

I'm no expert on the field but as an engineer, since you're asking for one, I would suggest someone who breaks the control panel by changing a light bulb should not attempt to change the control panel or even attempt changing the bulb again... Best to call around and find a service technician that can fix it for you.

Last edited by sphelps; 02-09-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:20 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Should have got a Maytag, their repair dude sits on his butt forever. I still say if the whole control panel is shot & you don't have anyone that can troubleshoot the components on it & need to replace the whole thing, get a new oven. A Maytag.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:51 PM

VFX is on a distinguished road

A Maytag would have been nice but the Kenmore was already there when we bought the place.

Anyway, looks like I do need a control board. The wiring for the bulb was loose & shorted the thing.

Call out charge for someone to tell me the above $95. Cost of board, estimated at $200, labour cost to swap the board over &150. Add the HST & it's not worth paying for a repair.

I'll see if I can pick up the part & do it myself but also need to replace the bulb cradle that corroded & caused the problems in the first place.

.... Then! Everyone can have their cupcakes!

Shelly, cupcakes for frags next time I'm on the Island?