Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-18-2003, 10:32 PM

IJC is on a distinguished road

Idzeilak - to answer your question, I wanted to lower the water level because water was getting between the trim and the glass and ocasionaly dripping downt the front. I didn't want to drop the level below the trim - I don't know if all tanks are like mine, but the trim extends further down on the outside than the inside, so I could drop the water level and still have it above the trim on the outside..... Making any sense here?

I didn't want to slow the water flow down, as it's not really that fast in the first place.

Anyways, I got my hands on a dremel frome my Uncle, and got the job done. I made the grooves a little deeper and wider as well, and the level is down by about 1 cm - perfect. The "while running" and power-off water levels are not as far apart now either, which makes me a feel a little better as well.

Like I was planning, I used a box with the corner cut out to catch the cuttings , and used paper towel to plug up all the seams. Of course, some of the cuttings managed to get away from me, but they were very light shavings and floated quite agreeably on the water's surface. It was actually much less messy than I had expected.

So, it was a definate success, and I'm glad I tried it. Thanks to everyone for the advice (to tell the truth, I didnt even know what a dremel was so that was an especially usefull tip)