Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-11-2005, 11:41 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus

However, as far as colour of SPS goes, it is usually a question of lighting and nutrient levels in addition to good Ca/Alk values.
I am not an SPS fan, but I have read (and can't remember the source) that High nutrient levels, and inadequate light cause browning of SPS corals. It is not that they are unhealthy just that they lack the colours we all like so much.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 10-11-2005, 11:48 PM

adidas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to adidas

thanks guys,

well lighting isnt a problem, however alk i bet isnt right.. nutrient, well i have a hang on fuge, but i do think i had a bit of nitrates last i checked, i've never had nitrates at absolute zero. i'm buying an alk kit tonight. will post results.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:55 AM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

You know... some time my sarcasm may get me in hot water.... just to qualify the hand slap...

I think the only mistakes I haven't made in this hobby are the ones I have yet to make... I think in the first year I had my first reef I checked the alk maybe 4 times... now I check a minimum of twice a week, and only then when I have dialed in the dosing... then after which I usually go buy something else that screws up the consumption level anyways... *SIGH*... so I guess until I get the tank crammed full I'll always be checking 4 or 5 times a week and adjusting my dosing...

As far as nitrates go, don't really fret unless they're over 20 ppm... It's becoming a more popular notion these days that a few nitrates may actually be beneficial to corals... I must be very fortunate in this regard, as I feed my system like crazy and can't get a reading... mind you I have a 1 1/2" decorative sand bed in the 135, 3" in the 72, 4" aragonite in the 25g refugium and 5" in about 2/3 of a 55g sump along with 250 or so pounds of live rock and a Bullet 2 skimmer. Get this, I even have... I know I'm going to hear it.... *GASP* BIOBALLS as a return diffuser in my sump... If they become a nitrate factory I will remove them... but so far nothing... *holds hand out*
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!
Old 10-12-2005, 08:50 AM

adidas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to adidas

well i went to petland to pick up an alk test kit and they didnt have it! so i guess i'll go tomorow to big al's or petsmart.

corals have improved this week as i finally hooked up an auto top-off... before the level was up and down constantly.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:49 PM

Invigor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferaddict
BIOBALLS as a return diffuser in my sump... If they become a nitrate factory I will remove them... but so far nothing...
*SLAP*

hehe just kidding, I was actually going to do the same thing in my losing battle against microbubbles
Old 10-12-2005, 02:54 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

I would just go to Big Al's for a decent quality ALK kit . Petland, Petsmart, etc.. don't usually carry alk test kits at all, and if they do.. it will be a Hagen like I am using.. and I am goign to get rid of that one soon... I am doubting it's accuracy.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:18 PM

rickjames is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDP
I would just go to Big Al's for a decent quality ALK kit . Petland, Petsmart, etc.. don't usually carry alk test kits at all, and if they do.. it will be a Hagen like I am using.. and I am goign to get rid of that one soon... I am doubting it's accuracy.
Get salifert, they are the best. I also like the seachem test kits, have never seen an ALK kit from them but I'm sure they make one.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:23 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

Salifert isn't available to us locally .. well I only know of one place, but refuse to go there. Otherwise.. you have to order Salifert online.. which IMO is a pain, and would rather settle for something second best, etc...
Old 10-12-2005, 03:49 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Salifert is worth getting, IMHO.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:08 PM

rickjames is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
Salifert is worth getting, IMHO.
definitely.... save the hagen for measuring stuff you usually don't have in your tank, NH4, N02, etc, but for monitoring levels like Ca, Mg, Alk, i wouldn't trust anything but the best test kits. JMO.