Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-25-2004, 02:07 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderWorldAquatics

support your local stores, cuz when you need something in a pinch, they will be there for you, unless you dont support them
Well said Kyle
Old 11-25-2004, 02:12 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
Yeah, OK.

But for big ticket items (I may be getting a Ca reactor) if I can save $250 bucks going with a U.S. vendor I will.

For smaller items no problem buying Canadian. And if Canadian prices are 15-20% higher no problem with that either.

It's when Canadian prices are 1/3 higher or more that I say enough is enough.
Not sure where your looking. {I say that with some caution, as I have not looked at American retailers lately}. But items like beckett skimmers and reactors have always been much cheaper at one of our listed retailers, {SWC}, than any in the US I have seen.

I,m going to check some out though, just to see.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:17 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

OK I see Sam's point, it looks like the bargains from U.S. suppliers are a temporary thing related to the recent rise in our currency.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:04 PM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation

Hello,

Sam is correct. Most aquarium goods are not made in US. Chillers, pumps, air pumps, vinyl hoses, raw material for tanks, cleaning products, media, lamps, etc. When I order acrylic from my supplier, I sometimes get Japanese and sometimes Mexican. Sometimes American also. But American's only accounts for 1/3 of the source.

Titus
Old 09-24-2007, 10:15 PM

Puff is on a distinguished road

i order all my stuff from US online vendors now. and i save 40-60% while doing it.

if the canadian vendors cant buck up and lower their prices to be competitive, then they will continue losing business to US dealers.

Drsfostersmith.com, marineandreef.com, and marinedepot.com are all really good places to deal with, and the prices are brilliant.

i just ordered a 24G aquapod from drsfostersmith. 360$ with the 150W MH...ive seen them up here selling for around 450-500$...why bother paying that much more?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:39 PM

deep6er is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puff View Post
i order all my stuff from US online vendors now. and i save 40-60% while doing it.

if the canadian vendors cant buck up and lower their prices to be competitive, then they will continue losing business to US dealers.

Drsfostersmith.com, marineandreef.com, and marinedepot.com are all really good places to deal with, and the prices are brilliant.

i just ordered a 24G aquapod from drsfostersmith. 360$ with the 150W MH...ive seen them up here selling for around 450-500$...why bother paying that much more?
how much was the shipping?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:41 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep6er View Post
how much was the shipping?
and the brokerage costs?

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 09-24-2007, 11:08 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

We are very lucky to have retailers such as J&L, OA and Hidden Reef. These retailer have the lowest price in Canada on an ongoing basis. They lower their prices whenever they can. To our benefit they stock inventory of the latest and most desirable item for the hobby. They can not reduce the price of items within their inventory until they sell it and replace it. In some cases that inventory was purchased months before the dollar went to par. Many of the items are made in countries other than the USA. Even though the Canadian Dollar has strengthen against the US, so have many of the other countries currencies. The German Mark, the Japanese Yen and the European Euro have all strengthened against the US dollar.

Tom R
Old 09-24-2007, 11:10 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Heh, not quick enough with a response.....

Please remember that THEY BOUGHT EVERYTHING at prices when the dollar was not equal, I hate narrowmindedness...please realize the markets respond quicker than merchants can often deal with, give them time I'm sure they will come down. Its the same thing with books etc. By all means this does not exonerate Canadian retailers, but it is not often as easy as some poeple think it is. Remember that shipping costs are included in Canadian products as well. You'll notice that for an american made product shipping is higher to canada than to the rest of the u.s.. Canadian prices reflect this.

Last edited by Pan; 09-24-2007 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Tom R got to it before me.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:12 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

If you payed 360 from them I would call them, as they are 329 on sale right now.