Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Old 10-11-2005, 05:19 PM

geopod is on a distinguished road

This is great honestly I wasnt sure what to expect.I think another day and we can maybe make up the list and let the new people know who is availiable for mentors and we can go from there.This is gonna be different as I still consider myself a newbie only 3yrs in so far.And yes Addiction is powerful in this hobby.I cant stop either.

george
Old 10-11-2005, 05:28 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Sure a mentor is a great idea, but I would qualify that by stating that the mentor should be in the same geographical area. I, for instance, would consider it a great idea to go without the expense of RODI water. I would, however, only advise this for my immediate area because I know from experience that it works here.

Similarly I do very well without a skimmer. Again, it works for me, and might not work for a beginner. For those reasons it might be better to post questions on a number of boards, and make an informed decision from the answers.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 10-11-2005, 05:44 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

I don't think this mentor thing is that best idea. Every reefer has different opinions and different ways to do things. Personally I think that getting many peoples opinions are much better then just one. By seeing things from many different perspectives the newbie would be better equiped for what would work best for them.

Who really needs a mentor anyways as there is a thriving community of reefers all ready to help out the newbs right here on Canreef and other such forums as well.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:02 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Sort of with Muck on this, a mentor though good is still one person's perspective but there's many ways to approach this hobby.

Ensuring the attitude on this board stays 'the only stupid question is the one not asked' keeps benefiting all.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:03 AM

fishguyxd is on a distinguished road

I for one am new In this hobby. I have posted stupid questions before and had a another person say "why do you keep asking the same question" well the answer is i only got a couple replys and it was not always the correct info as I have found out later so I am open to all idea's. and even today I still post questions and only get a single reply but at least someone gave me some information and I thank them for that. I find on another reef site you post something and in 5 min you have about 5 viewings and most likely a reply. Yes I relieze more member online but there not always local. like this site It's like any hobby or job ask someone with the "experience" Not all books tell you how and if your new well which books are right? "We were all there once new to this hobby" I think if everyone helps all fellow reefers than the hobby will be more enjoyable I have see different setups and lighting etc. I have meet other reefers personally and learned from them and there mistakes and seen there tank setups and now have some friends in the hobby and consider them someone I can ask questions too as well as post a topic here.