Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 11-19-2007, 04:48 PM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

I had one. It helped with algae somewhat running rowaphos in it but I didn't like the shoddy build of the unit. I guess that's what you get for $50. In about 3 months the 90 degree hose barbs hardened and came off on a regular basis. Just barely touching it would cause them to pop off and have water gushing out of the reactor.

It was noisy too leaning against the glass sump. The sump seemed to reverberate the noise from the reactor. There didn't appear to be a rubber seal on the screw on cap. It held with friction. Not a real issue with the lower water flow but in the long run I was nervous about the unit. I was worried about undertightening it and having a leak, or overtightening it and wearing out the seal.

It worked well though considering the price. I just wish that for the $50+20 paid for the reactor and a maxijet pump there was something all in one with a little more quality. There's not a whole lot out there at the same price range for competition so it's a good unit for the price.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:56 PM

Van-rookie is on a distinguished road

[quote=fkshiu;282260]The reactor is simply a chamber to put media (whatever you want: carbon, GFO, etc) into. You then attach a small pump to the reactor which pushes water through. It's more effective than just a filter bag because water passes through and all around the media evenly.
QUOTE]

so the fuction is similar as fluval filter ?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:28 PM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

I ordered some of these for the place I work at recently:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~MN4111.html

I bought one and installed it Saturday, it does take up a fair chunk of space but I really like it and there is no chance it will leak.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:21 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

[quote=Van-rookie;282303]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post
The reactor is simply a chamber to put media (whatever you want: carbon, GFO, etc) into. You then attach a small pump to the reactor which pushes water through. It's more effective than just a filter bag because water passes through and all around the media evenly.
QUOTE]

so the fuction is similar as fluval filter ?
Sorta, but the key difference is that the reactor operates at a much slower flow rate allowing the media to freely percolate which makes the media much more effective. In a canister filter like a fluval you have to use a media bag which results in a lot of bypass and the flow rate is also too high to optimize contact time.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:30 PM

Van-rookie is on a distinguished road

i see.
would it be ok to take out carbon from the bag and put them directly on the compartment ?
Old 11-20-2007, 02:28 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
I have one. I love it. It works much more efficiently than a filter bag IMO. Works great for carbon as well
Exactly.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:36 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van-rookie View Post
i see.
would it be ok to take out carbon from the bag and put them directly on the compartment ?
Yes, you can, just make sure to keep the floss circle tops above and below your carbon.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:36 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van-rookie View Post
i see.
I just asked this very same question in another thread I started a few days ago. I got one response saying they had done it. I'm doing maintenance to my reef tomorrow. Will then be running my Fluval 405 with 3 of the 4 baskets full of just carbon. No bags. At the top of the third basket I will use cut to size HBH carbon pads to prevent carbon bits reaching the impeller. The 4th (top) basket will be empty. This will probably allow me to increase my carbon use by 1.5x. I've been told you can't use too much carbon so I'm increasing the amount I use in an attempt to win some ongoing pest battles. But I digress and am getting off topic here.

Cheers,