Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-15-2009, 04:38 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Majority of our shop have moved from Toshiba Tectras to HPs with docking stations. Biggest issue was lack of dedicated serial port and getting the USB/serial adapters to work but all seem okay with them now.

As for Dells service, can't complain. Last Tuesday had a desktop that wouldn't boot so called Dell Service, on Thursday tech (contracted to Dell) was on site and replaced the motherboard and Pwr supply.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:41 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
I hate buying laptops for my company, but it's my job so I gotta do it!

I have purchased Dell and Toshiba in the past, but lately, Dell's service sucks, not to mention their lousy battery life on some of my recent purchases.

TIA!
I have a Lenovo SL400. It is ok. Its a bit bulky, the mouse moves by itself sometimes (due to the trackpoint getting stuck I think), and one of the trackpoint buttons squeaks.

I found this:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...ghlight=lenovo

Last edited by Samw; 04-15-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:53 AM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

I buy Lenovo for our company's road warriors too. Great machines. Consider the smaller and LIGHTER X series as the T series my users are complaining of being too heavy. Don't bother with the R series. We buy our Lenovos from these guys:
http://www.sevengroup.ca/

Tell Simon Wong that Keith from Radiant recommend them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheSea View Post
Have you given IBM (Lenovo) a try? I work in IT and have used nothing but IBM's since I was hired back in 99. T21, T42, T60 etc.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:55 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShell View Post
I've been using a Panasonic Toughbook at work. The battery lasts for about 5 hours in the field and it's been performing great for me!
And you actually can drop them from 12 feet
Old 04-15-2009, 04:57 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
Consider the smaller and LIGHTER X series as the T series my users are complaining of being too heavy.
to be fair, the X61's are pretty decent models. We have our fewest issues with these...
Old 04-15-2009, 05:31 AM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

Not sure about how well they'd work in the...uh, work place, but

Give me a MAC (MAC) you got your mac you got your Mac

ahem. thanks
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Just a guy..

A MAC would work well in the workplace if, say, your workplace was a boat, and you wanted your workplace to not drift around.

We do have a few Mac users, but I'd guess it's 35000 Windows PCs to maybe 100 Macs?
Old 04-15-2009, 02:20 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

Thanks to everyone for all the comments!
Old 04-15-2009, 05:12 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
A MAC would work well in the workplace if, say, your workplace was a boat, and you wanted your workplace to not drift around.
Ho Ho! Man you made me laugh with that comment.

Q: What's the difference between a Mac and an Etch-A- Sketch? A: You don't have to shake the Mac to clear the screen. ...
Old 04-15-2009, 06:55 PM

wolf_bluejay is on a distinguished road

Strange, the one thing that always comes up when buy laptops -- what are the staff going to use it for.

Were I work we only have a few hundred laptops, but it generally goes like this:

If you are travelling a LOT, and need something that will stand up to a bit more abuse -- the thinkpad stands up well for getting acutall work done on a full size laptop.

IF you are mobile all the time (road warrior) and just need to check email, and do a bit of work, the acer asipre or other netbooks are a favorite as they are small and get really good battery life, but they are NOT powerful enough for doing CAD work and anything like it.

If you just need a laptop for the occasional trip and going to/from work and home, the CHEAP acer's are good enough. These are the vast majority of our laptops.

Of course, with that said, with the way our department (IT) works, we never actually use any 3rd party support, so the quality of support from dell/acer/IBM doesn't really factor at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
We do have a few Mac users, but I'd guess it's 35000 Windows PCs to maybe 100 Macs?
Wow, that is a lot of machines! It is rare for me to run into anyone that deals with the number of machines as me , let alone more. I guess this is where I get to rub our linux setup in a bit. -- Last week, I pushed out about 200 software updates to 3000 machines at over 40 sites, and that was during morning coffee. I always love to jest fellow IT people over that one