Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-22-2011, 02:32 AM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefgirl189 View Post
Look for things gently used!! Unfortunately all the "good" things people usually don't want to let go of but every once in awhile you can find great things on kijiji and this site. I found an awesome deal on an aquarium and set up I'm very thrilled to have right here on canreef by simply asking around.

I would love to get some lightly used pumps because it is much cheaper and you pay no tax. Unfortunately, those good deals were gone too fast before I had a chance to send them a PM. I was always behind from someone. If too old or no history behind it, I prefer to just pay for a new one, maybe a 50 to a hundred more but I know I have a waranty for 1 year. That's why I have decided to take advantage of this Boxing day coming up to get a decent pump. But learning from my many mistakes I have made, I would love to hear your comments before I buy it. So please, anyone with your experiences, please help me this time.
Thanks for the link
Old 12-22-2011, 04:20 PM

Thanks for all of your inputs, I think I am going to get a new model Tunze 6095 to match with my other 2 Tunzes.
Thanks and have a Merry Christmas everyone.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:10 PM

jostafew is on a distinguished road

Just thought i'd chime in quickly on the vortec's reliabilty; i'm not a vortech fanboy by any means (they were well suited to my tank, so that's why i have an MP10 ES and an MP40 ES W) but here's my experience with them in the 8 months or so that they've been running. I've had to do zero maintenance on the MP40 despite having to clean heavy calcium deposits out of all 5 of the othe pumps, 3 of which had actually stalled out, including a smaller MJ, a koralia, and the MP10. That being said, after figuring out how to disassemble the wetside and giving it a quick cleaning it's back up and running, no big deal. The MP10 i bought new and it's always had noisy bearings, but it's running on glass that's too thick so i haven't tried to warranty it. The MP40 i bought new but 2nd hand from a fellow Canreefer and has been awesome, nearly dead silent and zero problems despite running in less than ideal conditions.

Edit: looks like i'm a little late with this comment, but have a merry christmas and good luck with the boxing day shopping!

Last edited by jostafew; 12-22-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:23 PM

No you are not late, thanks for your comment about the MP40 ES. I am looking for a good used one in the future, if I am fortunate enough to get it before someone else send a PM to the seller.

Edit : I also see that the Vortech keep their value well and re-sell it fast if compared with Tunze today.

Last edited by Casey8; 12-22-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:07 PM

regent2009 is on a distinguished road

MP 40 esw. it's save room, easy maintainance-just clean the wet side propeller, no worry electricity leaks, powerful too (i'm only running 60% of the power for 72 g BF). i can see the coral make a big difference after i installed this. so far the best investment i made.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:42 PM

Can you guys stop telling me how good is MP40 esw, you made me drooling on my keyboard here.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:51 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

well I work for a LFS and we see our fair share of warranty issues with the vortechs and sell lots of wet sides.....I think the thing is, when people spend $500 on a powerhead that breaks they tend to keep their lips tighter on the forums......far less warranty issues with the tunzes......

did that help with your drooling?
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 12-22-2011, 11:55 PM

... hahaha ... thanks fishytime, you really made me feel much better now
Old 12-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

dude...
Get a wavebox.

Even the Nano wave box will work in your tank.

Honestly, the motion in your tank is incomparable to anything else once you've had a wavebox, its tough to look at a tank without one.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:43 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

+1 After lots of reviews and talk a wavebox is going to be my next investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
dude...
Get a wavebox.

Even the Nano wave box will work in your tank.

Honestly, the motion in your tank is incomparable to anything else once you've had a wavebox, its tough to look at a tank without one.