Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 06-16-2010, 04:33 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

If it will help any I have two QT tanks. One is 45g and one is 30g. Both used for this purpose. I also have copper for treatment. Let me know if you are interested. You're welcome to bring the fish over and we'll see what we can do.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:51 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvlester View Post
+1 fishoholic I would believe her just read post on MV it is moving... and I sympathies with her for what she went through.
Honestly it was the worst thing I ever went through in my life. The saddest day for me was when my when my regal tang was dying and it was like she couldn't take the pain the MV was putting her through any more. She started to swim as hard as she could smashing herself into the glass along the sides of the tank and jumping up and smashing her head on the top of the lid to the QT tank. It literally was like she was trying to kill herself (or at least knock herself out) in order to stop the pain. I cried a lot after watching that and I still cry at the thought of it. Makes me sick that I didn't try to save them sooner

Do yourself a favor and take Kien's offer of help.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:05 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

It is almost impossible to say whether it is ich or marine velvet from your picture.
When you look at the fish lengthwise do you see tiny salt-like specs on it?
If that is the case it is ich and what you need to do immediately is treat the fish as the infestation is serious.
Here is what you do.
Soak dry food like flakes in garlic extract from a health food store or garlic extreme from a LFS. Dry food because it soaks up the garlic much better.
Feed only garlic soaked food as the idea is to put as much garlic in the fish a fast as possible.
Feed very often, overload the fish with this food for the same reason.
If it is not salt like specs you have marine velvet and follow the advice given in the other posts. IME marine velvet kills quickly from the first signs and I note you say that they are dying over a period of 2 weeks.

Last edited by naesco; 06-16-2010 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:56 AM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

I never experience MV so i can't offer any advice plus i think others already give you enough information.

If funding prevent you from setting up QT. I have a 10 gallon QT tank and copper bottle you can borrow. I am sure others will step up and help if you need more QT tank.

Good luck and may I know where did you buy your recent fish?
Old 06-16-2010, 06:38 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Good luck. If there's anything else you need please post it, I'm sure between all the locals we can pony up enough equipment.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:22 AM
bvlester

MV takes a while to kill unlike brook which kills in as little as 48 hrs.Each fish is different and by just feeding them garlic and selcon soaked foods that will boost their immune system to prolong the infestation even fish with MV will take different lengths of time to kill different fish some fish even seem immune to it and don't show any signs. MV can kill 1 fish and leave the others alone till the next batch of eggs hatch and it will be 100 time worse. and that round may kill 3 fish and the next batch of eggs will hatch and produce 100 times more parasites. that is the cycle so it can kill fast but I have seen fish in LFS stores with MV last 1-2 weeks. You just have to know what you are looking at.

Remember people it takes 1 fish to start a cycle and that fish is generally the first to die but not always depends on it immune system. I have seem 1 tank wiped out from MV and to treat it as MV will also cure ICK but is very hard on the fish. ICK looks like flake and MV looks like the fish has been dusted with flower that can range in color from white to black. It is bad and mistaken for many different parasites better to error on the safe side and call it MV and treat it as if it were MV, because the treatment will cure ICK also. If you know it is ICK for sure treat it with FW dips and soak food with garlic and selcon.

If I were closer I would do what ever I could to help. We use to drop an old Pennie in the sump once a month it would keep the copper level up a bit as there is a trace amount in natural sea water and now imitation sea water has trace amounts. This will not help you out any just some old folklore that was used in the hobby many years ago.

I don't remember having so much ICK in LFS tanks back then as I see these day and they sell fish with visible parisites, they should be ashamed.

Bill

Last edited by bvlester; 06-16-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:35 PM

sitandwatch is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice.

I have pm'd Kien to see if I can work somthing out, I just hope I get the right Kien.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWorldAquatic View Post
How old is the tank? and the Ammonia levels?

Ken
The tank is an upgrade and been running for about 3 months now.

Ammonia is 0
Old 06-16-2010, 03:07 PM

Just got a call from the great Kien and he is going to help QT the fish

Thanks for the help

Last edited by sitandwatch; 06-16-2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: ming change
Old 06-16-2010, 05:16 PM
bvlester

great to see that yo are getting some help with this and things take a turn for the better.

Bill