Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

Old 04-09-2011, 02:47 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Kent's systems use cheaper parts which I don't like and Vertex doesn't offer enough flexibility in my mind. BWI is probably fine but they only have 100gph membranes available... 75gpd has a higher rejection rate and has been what was recommended to me in the past. So I like the units sold on Bulk Reef Supply. They use john guest fittings, Filmtec membranes and you can opt to build your own system consisting of only the parts that you want.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 04-09-2011, 03:02 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

First thing you might want to do is some research on your water source at the new house. Find out where it's coming from, presumably the City of Calgary, go on their web site and check the water reports to give you an idea of what to expect at your tap. Then get a cheap handheld TDS meter and take some readings after you move in. This will help determine what sort of RO system you require. Also find out if your water provider uses chlorine or chloramine to treat the water. This will have an impact on how many carbon stages you need (usually one extra for chloramine).

My 77 evaporates about a gallon a day, when I first started I used tap water treated for chlorine. I couldn't imagine having to go out and by RO water then lug it home for weekly evaporation and scheduled water changes. I purchased a system from BWI and am very pleased with it. It came with two carbon stages, but I recently removed one & replaced with a second poly filter since the extra carbon is not required for chlorine.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:56 AM

Harpo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
First thing you might want to do is some research on your water source at the new house. Find out where it's coming from, presumably the City of Calgary, go on their web site and check the water reports to give you an idea of what to expect at your tap. Then get a cheap handheld TDS meter and take some readings after you move in. This will help determine what sort of RO system you require. Also find out if your water provider uses chlorine or chloramine to treat the water. This will have an impact on how many carbon stages you need (usually one extra for chloramine).

My 77 evaporates about a gallon a day, when I first started I used tap water treated for chlorine. I couldn't imagine having to go out and by RO water then lug it home for weekly evaporation and scheduled water changes. I purchased a system from BWI and am very pleased with it. It came with two carbon stages, but I recently removed one & replaced with a second poly filter since the extra carbon is not required for chlorine.
Thank you for that great insight! I would of never have thought about finding out from the city as to what water is coming out of the tap! I will have to check that out ASAP soon as I find a house!

Thanks once again for yours and everybodys input!

Any more tips or anything on this topic would be helpful!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:38 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

No problem. Most systems offered for our use are very much the same, but by knowing a little more about your source water you could save yourself one or more stages of filtration. It would help if a few folks from Calgary would provide additional input to help you make a choice. The TDS for folks in Vancouver is so low out of the tap, they could probably run a DI stage only and forego the RO section altogether. My source TDS is in the 210 to 220 range and the 75 gpd RO stage takes that down to 1 or even 0 in the winter with colder water, the DI stage takes care of the residual TDS.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:00 AM

Harpo is on a distinguished road

Any info from Calgarians?
Old 04-16-2011, 04:57 AM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

My TDS is about 130 in NW Calgary.

I have a 35 gal setup presently and just getting the tank up and running the first month of water changes cost me something like $80 in jugs of water.

Before you buy a single jug of water, go and buy an RO/DI system. The longer you wait, the more $ you'll waste on buying water. RO systems aren't that expensive and even a $300 system will pay for itself in a reasonable period (depending, of course, on your tank size / water needs).

I also use mine to replace the Culligan service I had so I'm saving even more. Add to that the convenience of not having to lug jugs to the store and it's a no-brainer.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.

Last edited by DiverDude; 04-16-2011 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:12 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Get an RO unit for sure, from what I have read about most larger cities the water supply really goes to crap in the spring with all the melting run off so the cities dump more chemicals into there systems to make it consumable. I have a whole house RO system & when the wife & I go any where & have a glass of water the taste of it really makes me wish I was at home.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 04-17-2011, 11:48 AM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

Just wondering for all those in Alberta, where's the best place to buy pre-filters, RO membranes and DI filters?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:17 PM

Lysa.anne is on a distinguished road

I got my 3 stage one from Filter Direct. We have it as a stand alone though, there's also no tank with it. But it does the job.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:33 AM

brianlow is on a distinguished road

I just bought a Buckeye Field Supply 75 gph RO/DI unit. $250 shipped with all the fittings to hook up to the water supply. Some info:
http://www.reefcentral.org/forums/sh....php?t=1280759

I think lugging RO water from the store will get old really fast, especially when you need to do a large water change to solve a problem.

I think at least one fish store in Calgary uses conditioned tap water (maybe it was just a rumor). It might be an option though I suspect not many people would recommend it. Are there any tanks of the month from Calgary using tap water?