Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-25-2008, 05:54 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

I will not post the thread, I just find it entertaining when people with no experience owning an an animal post their opinions based on something they read on the internet. I encourange everyone to raed alot, but also to think for themselves... and Tony, no way should these be $400 these days!!!

I have 2 in my 270 display and may get one more. I show them off to everyone that comes over! They love to stay together in the tank and I see them every day. I was planning on putting one in a small tank (nano) becuase you could get so close to them, and they come out more often in a less competative tank. When I saw my buddies in a nano (which I got for him) I loved the idea and planned on doing it. Decided I already have enough tanks to maintain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
+1 ... same here. Although I pleaded for clemency and was reinstated, nevertheless I have not returned. I didn't like being banned for such an arbitrary reason and if I'm not wanted on a site then fine, I won't come.
If you think of it Dave, post the URL. Or if you really feel generous, can you give a synopsis?

When I saw the title I thought, uhoh, did I offend someone by doing my own thread here? (Mine is in a 20g.) And considering that his "territory" is literally only about 1/4 of the tank, I consider this an acceptable setup for him. I think it was on wetwebmedia that I read, many years ago, the suggestion that they do OK in smaller tanks and possibly better off because you have a hope of seeing them from time to time whereas they are "lost" in bigger tanks. So far my experience does not provide anything to suggest to the contrary.

Only thing is the poop does drive up the nitrates. But so far it's manageable, if it becomes unmanageable then so be it, we move onto the next step.

And one other thing .. man alive 2-3 years ago this eel was totally unheard of in Canada, now it seems 1 in 5 reefers have one, or even several. I was at a LFS recently as they were unpacking an order and lo and behold there was a mated pair. WOW. If I had had $400 to spare at that moment they would have just come home with me. Alas!
Actually, you see them more often in a small tank as there is less competition (well at least one would hope!) Also, based on my research and experience these eels are to be fed 2-3x's a week max, not every day. Best to feed them with tweezers as most are aware (they eye sight is poor, feed based on smell). This process also minimizes contamination of the tank.

I somewhat agree the average Joe should not attempt one, but honestly their care requirements are quite simple. That being said I believe most people unaware of their care requirements may also shy away from the pricetag typically associated with the DGM, and honestly, most LFS's never get them, and I think only specialty stores would import them (the ones you hope to get good advice from...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaloupa View Post
I guess I'm lost on the "joke" part. I happen to be one of the people that responded to his question. I keep mine in a 120g tank and see it DAILY. It comes out, feeds very well and uses a good part of the tank....as it has several different dens. He eats ALOT and of course what goes in must come out, so the tank has a big skimmer and lots of water changes. The guy on the other board offended people by his attitude...asked for input and then says "well thanks for that...but I'll just do this anyway as you guys don't agree with what my LFS says" and then goes to say he's going to put live sand and some water in then the fish after a week? Sure the "owner" of the other board is extreme (to put it mildly)...but that's the way that board is.

Tony has done well with his in the 20g tank. And he will be on top of all his maintenance etc...for the average "joe" it's not always the best idea. Just IMO
Old 11-25-2008, 06:11 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

It was $400 for a "mated pair." I don't know if they were a "mated" pair per se but there were two and they were sharing the same den in the tank they were put into.

I'd love to get a second one but don't think I'll put 2 into the 20g.

Dave and Chaloupa, do you have covers over your tanks? (I'm assuming not)
Old 11-25-2008, 06:45 PM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

I feed mine 2 times per week, I DO NOT feed daily as that is against everything I have read also...however I feed the tank daily and he does pick at some of their food from time to time. I have a few large boisterous fish in the tank and he doesn't care..he just comes out when he wants to (read this as smells food source in tank that requires investigating).

Tony, I don't have a lid on my tank...I did have egg crate for a long time...but took it off one day and never put it back on. Now that does go against everything I have read both by internet articles and personal experience people have posted...however I HATE eggcrate and if I cover the tank with glass I have way too much heat, so I've just said my prayers to the fish Gods and hope he finds the inside of the tank more to his liking than trying to fly. Observing him, he doesn't go higher than halfway up the tank even at night.....but there is eurobracing too that should help and the cap covers all sides except the back....

Old 11-25-2008, 07:13 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

on a big tank like yours, i think it would be okay without a lid... maybe. if it does jump out, don't be too surprised. For the first few months upon introduction though, the eel will likely cruise around investigating his new digs and during this time will probably be more likely to try carpet surfing. I dont think eggcrate would cut it since the eel is thin enough that it can just slither through the holes.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:18 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Eggcrate may in fact be worse than nothing at all. If you think about how a snake moves (assuming eels will be similar), they can move a lot faster through narrow openings than a wide open area because they propel themselves using side-to-side movements and if there's something lateral to push against, the result is a stronger thrust forward. Just speculatin' anyhow..

I can see that Eurobracing may help though as if they're following the glass up, they have to arch back to get over that. I can see them not following-through and just turning around and swimming somewhere else. Again, just speculatin' though.

Last but not least I think if the rockwork is low it may also help because at least with mine, he is *never* out in the open - never more than a few inches away from the rockwork. It makes sense, at this size they are "food" to a lot of things so being out in the open instead of near a "safe den" is probably not something they want to do a lot of. This is my hope anyhow.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinl View Post
on a big tank like yours, i think it would be okay without a lid... maybe. if it does jump out, don't be too surprised. For the first few months upon introduction though, the eel will likely cruise around investigating his new digs and during this time will probably be more likely to try carpet surfing. I dont think eggcrate would cut it since the eel is thin enough that it can just slither through the holes.
I couldn't agree more! And I would be totally to blame....ugh. He has been there now since March. We probably took the egg crate off in August or so...and he does seem settled...but I know I am taking a HUGE risk! If I could find a way to keep the temp down with a full glass lid I sure would!

Tony, you have a point with the eggcrate helping them to get out....never really thought about that....I just "hope" he doesn't decide to try flying.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:46 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

mmmm very good points tony, I can easily see the three being a reality.

Sarah, how about computer fans? Or an open topped canopy? ...or both. You would have to worry about making the canopy flush to the tank's rim of course, but you could probably DIY with a big O-ring made of flexible airline tubing. or even a rubber skirt (would probably look uglier than the o-ring). Personally Ive never been much of a fan of glass tops; i like my aeration.

edit: lol can you tell Ive planned a tank for these guys before? also: thread successfully jacked.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinl View Post
Sarah, how about computer fans? Or an open topped canopy? ...or both. You would have to worry about making the canopy flush to the tank's rim of course, but you could probably DIY with a big O-ring made of flexible airline tubing. or even a rubber skirt (would probably look uglier than the o-ring). Personally Ive never been much of a fan of glass tops; i like my aeration.

edit: lol can you tell Ive planned a tank for these guys before? also: thread successfully jacked.
My canopy is 3 sided...and lighting attached to the top of that.....he could only get out the back of tank. I have a fan on the sump right now just to keep the heat down...it's brutal. This room has the least amount of air movement even though we have AC and an HRV!

Nice hijack though .....at least this is informative and helps others to see the challenges of a dwarf eel!

Old 11-25-2008, 08:55 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

Mated pair? To my knowledge there is no way to sex them, although they have been reported to pair up in captivity...and for 2 that would be a reasonable price. 2 in a 20G, not sure about that but I would not rule it out, that being said I would probably not recommend it to someone.

I do not have a cover on my tank, I do however have eurobracing. I have imported these before and have never lost one due to escaping from the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
It was $400 for a "mated pair." I don't know if they were a "mated" pair per se but there were two and they were sharing the same den in the tank they were put into.

I'd love to get a second one but don't think I'll put 2 into the 20g.

Dave and Chaloupa, do you have covers over your tanks? (I'm assuming not)
Old 11-26-2008, 12:59 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road

maybe try eggcrate with screen atached to the top