Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 01-12-2006, 03:23 PM

Jaws is on a distinguished road

Hey Mark. I use a Euro-reef on my 180G. It took me a while to find the right settings on it but now it's pulling out tons of gunk now every day. Feel free to stop by and check it out if you ever have time. I'm looking forward to seeing your setup.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:27 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickjames
Honestly for the size of tank you have and the height you can work with I would either consider going to one of the low and really fat euro reefs (i think it is the CS12 line) or go with two smaller needle wheel skimmers, either euro or asm.

My .02
Thanx for the ideas Brennan. Unfortunately the footprint of the CS12-1 is 18"x18". Too big. Also, they run about $800 US.
I think I'll go with the ASM G3, but thanx for the ideas.

Cheers,
Old 01-12-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws
Hey Mark. I use a Euro-reef on my 180G. It took me a while to find the right settings on it but now it's pulling out tons of gunk now every day. Feel free to stop by and check it out if you ever have time. I'm looking forward to seeing your setup.
Thanx J. I'll get in touch with you soon. Maybe next week? I just got off a four week shift and have four tanks to "clean". It's about a four day job.

Cheers,
Old 01-12-2006, 03:34 PM

Good luck with that. Send me a PM when you think you've got some time to stop by. I live out in ShLangford. Let me know when you've got everything set up too and I'll stop by and check out your Great Wall of Tanks.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:46 PM

rickjames is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Reefer
Also, they run about $800 US.
Ouch! That would hurt the pocket book.

Cool skimmers though, they have one setup at J&L.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:40 AM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

Mark - Go for a Bullet... you'll NEVER look back...
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!
Old 01-13-2006, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferaddict
Mark - Go for a Bullet... you'll NEVER look back...
Hey Jim,

Thanx for the advice. Ya, the Bullet would be my first choice, after reading some of your comments on them from some previous threads, but for one thing. (There always seems to be one thing). I understand that, being a Beckett skimmer, they are prone to clog. I have to look long term on this. I'll be going back to sea in a few years and I need the most independent skimmer I can get. I think the ASM G3 fits most of the criteria I require. (Height; Needle Wheel; Footprint; Plug n' Play; In Sump). If I had a Bullet and two days after I walk out the door and a small snail were to clog the Beckett nozzle, that would mean a full 26 days of no skimming before I returned home again. I read some comments in a previous thread about going for a skimmer double the rated size for one's tank capacity. This sounds like good advice to mean and I'd do that if it weren't for the height issue. So, as far as the ASM G3 goes...I think that is the only sacrfice I am making. But it beats what i have now.
In short, ya, if one can be there to maintain a Bullet at least once a week that gets my vote.

Thanx again and cheers,
Old 01-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

As a huge proponent of beckett skimmers for years, I have to say now that I am a Euro reef convert. The ER I have now is a fraction of the size I used for a beckett, removes at least as much gunk, does not have a sucking air sound and is way easier to clean. I would never go back to a beckett again.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:50 PM

Agreed. The difference in price is a couple hundred dollars but when you consider the size of your system and the importance of a skimmer, almost number 1 in my books, I'd put out the extra money and get the best you can afford. JMO.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:57 PM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

I like the advantage of having my Beckett skimmer out from underneath my tank on a shelf where I can see it. Makes it easy to see WHEN maintenance needs to be done and makes it easy to get to when it needs doing...

As for snails blocking the nozzle... never had any, but my sump configuration has a mechanical filter before the skimmer pump picks up the water... I have to empty my collection cup, (about 1 1/2 gal), every 10 - 14 days, and I break down the nozzle and soak in vinegar every month or so... this has been almost a "set and forget" skimmer, and with it being in full view... very easy NOT to forget.

I must qualify this and also state that I don't have any experience with the Euroreef style skimmers...
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!

Last edited by reeferaddict; 01-13-2006 at 10:49 PM.