Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-10-2011, 12:54 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.ald View Post
remember, what is acceptable in china's culture may not be acceptable in another. most lfs in canada have no problem selling a goldfish in a goldfish bowl.

if this was a betta keychain would that be ok?
small plastic cup or keychain?

This is not acceptable in anyone's culture, period!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:57 AM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

well, emotions aside, not acceptable in our culture but obviously it is in china.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
This is not acceptable in anyone's culture, period!
Old 04-10-2011, 01:02 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Only one word "STUPID"
Old 04-10-2011, 01:04 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post
$hit like this really leaves me wondering what the future holds for our species.
Personally, I'm not overly optimistic.....
Old 04-10-2011, 01:09 AM

jon.smolders is on a distinguished road

So how come we don't have a problem with betta's in tiny little cups? Or goldfish fed as feederfish? Or kept in tiny fishbowls where the water is never changed? Or goldfish or bettas used a centre pieces in weddings.. afterwhich half are taken home to die, while the other half are flushed? Or the goldfish put in blenders or swallowed whole by 12 year old kids?

I'm not saying it's right... but advocating for the rights of maybe a few thousand goldfish sold in China is very low on my priority list compared to human injustices such as genocides, abuse of women, children, and the elderly, and religious persecution (which is quite a problem in China, BTW).

I appreciate the link to the article.... thats what Canreef is for, but lets not start lobbying for laws against crualty to goldfish, or we may end up with laws that restrict our hobby! Imagine going to jail for because you "neglected" your tank for too long and a fish died...

Just my two cents...

"Resolved, that I will live so as I shall wish I had done when I come to die."
(Jonathan Edwards, 1722)
Old 04-10-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.smolders View Post
So how come we don't have a problem with betta's in tiny little cups? Or goldfish fed as feederfish? Or kept in tiny fishbowls where the water is never changed? Or goldfish or bettas used a centre pieces in weddings.. afterwhich half are taken home to die, while the other half are flushed? Or the goldfish put in blenders or swallowed whole by 12 year old kids?

I'm not saying it's right... but advocating for the rights of maybe a few thousand goldfish sold in China is very low on my priority list compared to human injustices such as genocides, abuse of women, children, and the elderly, and religious persecution (which is quite a problem in China, BTW).

I appreciate the link to the article.... thats what Canreef is for, but lets not start lobbying for laws against crualty to goldfish, or we may end up with laws that restrict our hobby! Imagine going to jail for because you "neglected" your tank for too long and a fish died...

Just my two cents...
I agree that there are lots of things as a human race that we shouldn't be doing.

I am not trying to start an argument by any means; but bettas are natually found in puddle's so small tanks arn't much different then there natural environment. As for gold fish, they are supposed to be housed in 30G or larger aquariums. A key chain is just not large enough and is enprisionment.

As for the neglect that some people have will allowing kids/pets to eat fish, or not properly taking care of an aquarium... I think those people arn't much better than someone who buys this keychain, its just cruel and unfair to something that stick up for itself.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:49 AM

Kevotron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I agree that there are lots of things as a human race that we shouldn't be doing.

I am not trying to start an argument by any means; but bettas are natually found in puddle's so small tanks arn't much different then there natural environment. As for gold fish, they are supposed to be housed in 30G or larger aquariums. A key chain is just not large enough and is enprisionment.

As for the neglect that some people have will allowing kids/pets to eat fish, or not properly taking care of an aquarium... I think those people arn't much better than someone who buys this keychain, its just cruel and unfair to something that stick up for itself.

ahhhh a Puddle ? last checked I haven't seen a betta live in a puddle of water... so I question your choice of words there, also i doubt a Betta in their natural enviroment lives in small dixie cup of water.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevotron View Post
ahhhh a Puddle ? last checked I haven't seen a betta live in a puddle of water... so I question your choice of words there, also i doubt a Betta in their natural enviroment lives in small dixie cup of water.
If I recall correctly they are from Asia and mainly live in rice paddies. They live in warm, shallow waters eating mosquito larva. Often time the water they live in is muddy and stagnant so they have adapted to be mouth breathers.

A dixie cup is far from there natural environment. Small tanks (5 gallons minimum) should be enough to make them happy. Or at least as happy as any other fish that we put into our little glass boxes.

I do appologize and am regretting posting on this touchy subject at all. But at the end of the day in my opinion putting goldfish and turtles in key chains is just WRONG. As well as somehow they figured out that they would last up to a month without feeding and water changes...

Last edited by Wayne; 04-10-2011 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:54 AM

cathyg_99 is on a distinguished road

I'm not trying to make light of the link it is wrong but it sounds like something you think of when your totally **** faced and stoned and your thinking outloud " keys are so boring we should make like goldfish keychains! "
Old 04-10-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyg_99 View Post
I'm not trying to make light of the link it is wrong but it sounds like something you think of when your totally **** faced and stoned and your thinking outloud " keys are so boring we should make like goldfish keychains! "
+1