Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-08-2011, 08:16 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blom View Post
Sphelps that fluval edge you had is nothing short of out of this world.
Ha! Thanks. Expect to see it again but in the hands of someone else....
Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaria View Post
Oh and I almost forgot neon signs are a thing o the past there all LED signs now most malls u go into that have an electric sign board are LED don't forget flashlights and the new LED bulbs that u can use in any old fixture
Oh right I forgot about the $60 6W LED 10year bulbs that make way more sense than the $2 13W CF 5year bulbs. You'd have to leave your lights on 24hrs a day for 10 years for that investment to make sense right now. Plus they are dim as hell, I know because I was stupid enough to try out a couple where I wanted dimmers.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:29 PM

Aquaria is on a distinguished road

LEDs in tvs are new and I'll bet if u dismantle one it would look alot like the guts of ur LED fixture for ur tank and there way cheaper then they were two years ago in all I'm not saying ur wrong just that it's used more widely then u made it sound like also my buddy who worked on the lions gate retrofit said the company that did it ( company is his aunts ) is in the works for doing other bridges in Canada and the city is plannig on replacing street lamps with the led ones so it's only a matter of time
Old 09-08-2011, 08:31 PM

Aquaria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Oh right I forgot about the $60 6W LED 10year bulbs that make way more sense than the $2 13W CF 5year bulbs. You'd have to leave your lights on 24hrs a day for 10 years for that investment to make sense right now. Plus they are dim as hell, I know because I was stupid enough to try out a couple where I wanted dimmers.
24 bucks for said bulb at home depot
Old 09-08-2011, 08:31 PM

Yes a matter of time....

As for LED TVs being similar to our fixtures that's not really the case. LED Tvs still work on LCD principles but just use LEDs as a back light, it's really nothing special and hardly an advancement. Opening an LED TV would show almost identical results to opening a standard LCD. The price drop you see in TVs has nothing to do with LED technology becoming more popular or more advanced, they're TVs, encase you haven't noticed they get cheaper with or without LEDs.

Last edited by sphelps; 09-08-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaria View Post
24 bucks for said bulb at home depot
Yeah perhaps cheaper now I guess but so are the CFs. However the cheaper LED ones are non dimable which kind of defeats the purpose and they are only 40W equivalent, rather than 60W equivalent CFs. So those really aren't the bulbs I was speaking of, those are still in the $40-$60 range.

Last edited by sphelps; 09-08-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:12 PM

ReefOcean is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Sorry it was $40 not $50. I found my old receipt which says $169.95, currently on their website they are $129.95. They are Lumenmax 3s that I bought at J&L.

Everyone in the developed world is using LEDs now. They're in consumer goods, homes, office buildings and industrial plants. They're also in PCs and cars.

I dont know anybody that uses LEDS for anything aside from the ones located inside of electronic devices. On that note, my old work used 400 watt metal halids that cost 60 dollars per fixture including bulb. How come aquarium MH are 600-2000 just for the metal frame when you can get a industrial MH for 60 bucks? Where in the cost of materials and technology, does 5 bucks of aluminim, some plastic and a power chord cost $600?

People in every house can use LEDs in the future, doesnt mean that LEDs made for aquariums will cost any less.

Now there is merrit in saying that you can use older, outdated LEDs to lower the cost but as I said, the materials in a metal halide fixture that costs 600 dollars might cost 25..does production cost really affect the price of aquaria items?...Reefers also tend to demand cutting edge technology, do they run down and buy those 10 dollar Odyssea MH bulbs but the truckload? No, they buy the 120 dollar bulbs just like they will want the new Cree Chips that cost 15/pc in their fixtures.

I will stand by it a million times over, prices in a niche-market stay relatively the same since demand on the item is low and people are willing to pay a premium. Of course, there are "cheap' LED fixtures out there that use bridgelux, I have one. It is alrgiht, but still cost 300 dollars and it not good enough to effectively keep sps for an extended period of time. Cheap products in this hobby have a bad rep and cosidered substandard....there is a stigma attatched to any product that seems to cost less then the others. Ask Odyssea, who actually produces product with a reasonable margin.

Last edited by ReefOcean; 09-08-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

These LED fixtures aren't going to get any cheaper I don't think so I agree. The DIY crowd should be able to take advantage of the savings of getting a slightly older diode if they are available.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
These LED fixtures aren't going to get any cheaper I don't think so I agree.
Actually maybe fixtures will get cheaper, much cheaper, I mean I just noticed by cordless phone has a little red LED that blinks when the battery is low and this exact phone is now $20 cheaper at future shop and that only has one LED!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:43 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Can we get back on topic please. The title says show us your LED tanks. Not lets debate the price of LED lights.