Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-16-2013, 06:28 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Yes, I always use the same vial for the complete test. Don't know what else to suggest.... Hopefully your reagent powder is OK. Good luck.
Believe it or not I've eliminated the reagent as the potential failing point. I bought refills from two locations so I now have three different expiration dates for my reagents.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:25 PM

Getting a couple kinds of coralline algae growing in my tank now. One is a deep red, pretty much a burgandy color. The other is the lighter purple that covers most of the live rock I purchased. Funny how it is adhering to the plastic items in my tank first though. My protein skimmer, a power head, probes, temperature sensor etc. All are turning purple but the dry rock has only recently started to get purple.

No sign of my black knobbly cucumber for a couple weeks now. He's either buried in the deep sand and loving life or has completely been consumed/decayed. I haven't lost any fish or anything so it seems unlikely that he has died...

Going to refresh my blue legged hermit crab population this weekend if I get the chance. They've been dying as they fight over shells but I'm pretty certain I have a predator eating them. Bits of broken shells etc. and an obvious decline in their numbers. I'm about 75% sure that it is my green brittle star that's doing it but I do hear the occasional snapping sound from the aquarium. I always thought it was my skunk shrimp but I'm beginning to suspect a mantis shrimp of some sort...

All corals are alive and doing very well as are all my anemones, fish, inverts. Baby snails on the rock last night, not sure what species yet though they are all too small to make out yet.

Phosphates are still through the roof according to my colorimeter but still not showing any signs that I can see of high phosphates. Ordered the phosphorus colorimeter from reefsupplies.ca so I'll see if I can get that to agree with the phosphate test. From what I've read it's more reliable than their phosphate model.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:04 PM

Default Full Tank Shot

OK, try not to be too brutal. It's my first marine tank...

Not pictured is a small hippo tang, and you have to try to find my pink skunk clowns playing silly in the RBTA.

Last edited by Magickiwi; 10-20-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

What is there to be brutal about?... that looks AMAZING!!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
What is there to be brutal about?... that looks AMAZING!!
Thanks, I guess I see more flaws than other people do. The diatoms in my sand bed are a bit of a problem and my marco dry rock isn't getting purple as quickly as I'd like.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:39 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Tank looks good! All it needs now is time :-)
Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickiwi View Post
Thanks, I guess I see more flaws than other people do. The diatoms in my sand bed are a bit of a problem and my marco dry rock isn't getting purple as quickly as I'd like.
Your tank looks great!!
Check your mg if your worried bout coraline algae.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 PM

I monitor my Mg every week or two. According to the RSM kits it is usually in the ideal range. Possibly a phosphate issue according to my Hanna checker but no other test kits lol.

I had bought the cuke to sift the sand bed as my star doesn't seem to get deep enough and my green brittle never leaves the rock. But the cuke is MIA.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:25 PM

Added an Apex JR controller last night in order to use it as a light controller since Coralife can't put out a product that actually functions.

So far so good, it set up pretty easily and it's publishing graphs etc. I haven't opened the internet to it yet because I want to ensure I'm not exposing my entire network.

The temperature probe agrees with the JBJ controller I've been using for my heater. That's the only probe that comes with it. Also I'm only able to run my lights on the power bar since I have four plugs for my lights and the power bar that came with it only has four outlets. Maybe I'll upgrade to the eight outlet bar if things continue to go well.

My expectations for this unit are relatively low and as long as it controls my lights as expected I won't mind investing in additional probes etc. I wanted to get the oxygen saturation probe for it but it's $600 just for the probe! You would still need to spend $125ish on the controller!! I'll settle for pH, temperature, ORP, Salinity etc.

One thing that's kind of goofy is that every module you add on comes with a temperature probe. How exactly is that useful? With the JR you can add up to four modules so what exactly would I do with five temperature probes?

Anyway the JR is less than 1/2 the price of the full blown Apex controller so I'm happy with the limitations on it and what it comes with etc. The only thing is that damned power bar lol... Would be nice to control my pumps, UV, ozone, skimmer, etc.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:16 PM

Last night I added a couple banded coral shrimp to my main tank and one to my daughter's tank. They are all a little nervous but within a couple hours the two in my tank got pretty comfortable and were doing what appeared to be shrimp sex. I thought geeze that was quick, I was worried they'd tear each other up.

Managed to find a first grade maxima for my daughter's tank. It's a tiny little sucker, only about 1" or so but already you can see it's going to be a special one... The shell is so white and clean, it's too bad they don't stay that way because the gorgeous blue flesh would rock the milky white shell.

The testing of the Apex Jr went well so I have connected it to my main lighting. Would have been nice to have more than four outlets but I'm OK getting another power bar if things continue to go well. Also it's good to note that the Jr doesn't support power consumption monitoring, unless you get another power bar... I am a little disappointed at the included software. There doesn't seem to be near as much flexibility in the graphing features as I want. I'd also like to change some graphics on the dashboard but there doesn't appear to be a way to do it.