Old 06-30-2009, 06:11 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

BK Deluxe 500
Rated up to 1300G
About 5 grand

That thing must be a monster.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:14 PM

Phanman is on a distinguished road

another option is the I-tech skimmer, I have the 100 and think it works fantastic. Obviously you would need a 400 or a superbeast but they can make one for you.

http://www.i-techskimmers.com/forums/

Also there is a i-tech skimmer thread on RC if you need more info

3x20g Display Established June 08|Koralia nano, 1, 4|Euroreef Skimmer|250W MH retro kit|Mag 18 return|RODI
120g Display Established Jan 1, 09|Vortech MP40|Koralia 4|I-Tech 100 w Tunze 9410.04A|Aquactinics Constellation 7x54W|Mag 18 return|RODI
Old 06-30-2009, 06:23 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
BK Deluxe 500
Rated up to 1300G
About 5 grand

That thing must be a monster.
I saw a picture shortly after I posted my original comments about skimmer choices...its huge, and beautiful...and really expensive. I'm just not so sure its worth all that money.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
You mention above that you are looking at the BK Supermarine 250 but in looking at it's specs, it's only rated to 750G.

For some reason J&L shows up to 2500G at the top of their listing and then in the specs below they list what BK actually says it can do.

I just thought you should know, in case that's where you got the idea it could handle your tank.
Yup that was exactly where I originally got the BK idea. I did go on further to look at all the other options, the ones that will not only break the bank, but they'll steal your soul too!

*edit*
Because I just have to know, I did put in a call to inquire about a BK skimmer, the appropriate size, price, etc. I think I owe it to myself to at least fully research it before I saw no.

Last edited by michika; 06-30-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Because you already have the Octo skimmer, I think you might be best served with dual skimmers combining to your recommended size so that if one goes down, you are not totally without skimming.

In that case, you have a lot more choices, like a smaller BK (still a little pricey) or maybe the CAT3 Hurricone.

Alternatively, people have been happy with their Aquamedic T5000's for a long time. Here's a link to the twin version for 1250G tanks. http://www.aquacave.com/turboflotor-...edic-1060.html

Aquacave ships to Canada happily and their customer service has been quite good for me.

*edit*
Here's a link for another company making big skimmers that I've heard okay things about. http://www.marinetechnical.com/page2.html

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.

Last edited by mseepman; 06-30-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:38 PM

So the quote on that BK 500 rivals the quote on the HVAC system. Kevin was unimpressed and I think he is leaning towards building his own skimmer now.

We don't have the space for two skimmers, I don't think, but I'm more then willing the measure it out and keep looking though. I just want to make sure that I don't have to go an upgrade again a year or two after I put whatever skimmer(s) on this system.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:06 PM

I picked up some more rock for this tank, its cooking away now so really there isn't much to do with that.

We're preparing to blow out a wall in the basement just by the stairs to get the stand in its proper position, however we're waiting on a firm confirmation on when the stand will be ready before we do that.

Tibet is going to most likely have a custom built skimmer now that we've really looked into our options. We aren't big on daisy chaining two together, and I'm honestly not willing to pony up the cash for a Bubble King regardless of its reputation. I also looked at Octopus' new line of Hurricone Skimmers, and it doesn't look like any single one will handle the tanks needs. Well I can now cross it off my list and move it to the to-do side of things.

Next up:
- more demo (it never seems to end)
- painting the floor in the fishroom
- getting the stand in place
- getting the water change system up and running
- ordering the tank
- framing the stand and tank
Old 07-16-2009, 01:18 PM

steveg is on a distinguished road

Hi there, looks like quite an exciting project! I have just moved into the area and am planning a basement tank too, not as big but I would welcome your recommendation as to where to get a tank from. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:33 PM

Welcome to the area!

So far its really looking like we'll be building this sucker ourselves in the basement due to accessibility issues. I've never purchased a tank from a builder, or a store, so unfortunately I don't have a lot of recommendations. I used to buy my tanks 2nd hand, and now I just buy the glass and we assemble them ourselves. You might want to try the Calgary forum and ask for a list of places who sell/build tanks.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:41 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

Outstanding skimmers, the current owner of Oakville Reef Gallery uses the 3000 on his 460G+/- display. I use the 1000 on my 270, very well constructed, but do take up alot of room and require a powerful pressure-rated pump. The BK's are great also and use little electricity, a buddy of mine bought one about 6 months back and could not be more happy with it.

Quote:
Here's a link for another company making big skimmers that I've heard okay things about. http://www.marinetechnical.com/page2.html