Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

That bowfront would probably be slightly over 240 gallons as well. I love the look of deep tanks, but they are a PITA when you have to stick your arm in & your armpits get wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefgirl189 View Post
It's supposed to be a 290, but I think he's off on the measurement.

The dimnesions were 6'X2'X32" high

Which would make it around 240 I believe.

You guys are right, I'm glad to have found this place sooner rather than later. Thanks for talking some sense into me and (potentially) saving me some $$$.

The bow front I'm looking at would have internal overflows, a 130 sump, be 6'X2' at the sides bowing out by 6" so 30" at the center and 29" tall. I don't know exactly what that would make it volume wise but probably around 210? I haven't had larger than a 125 FW live planted but they always say bigger is better when it comes to either set-up. I guess that's what I'm going for here.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:41 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Well said Anthony. Additionally, moving something like that could result in a cascade of issues. You'd have to unsettle all the rock and sand, potentially releasing lots of nutrients, which could result in huge algae outbreaks. In itself, that can be managed, but if you're new to SW, it could be more than you are able to deal with, and quickly end your time in the hobby.
I'm all for starting big, but that might be a bit much for a start in the hobby. Not much in FW translates over.
It could also result in a complete system crash. A couple years back I moved from one apartment to another apartment - IN THE SAME BUILDING - and it upset the balance and killed off all my fish and most corals.

I would say buy used, but empty.

Good luck.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:00 AM

reefgirl189 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
180s and 210s come up for sale reasonably frequently. The bigger tanks are usually slower to sell so if you're not in a rush, keep checking the classifieds. Also, post a LF thread asking if anyone in your part of the world has a tank with that footprint for sale.

If you were in BC, I know of a couple tanks that would fit your space.

Good luck,

Anthony
Thanks, I'll post an ad. Any chance of you coming to Alberta with those "couple tanks" *wink lol

Tags
beginner, move, reef