Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 09-09-2011, 06:27 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I have two SWC cone skimmers and they skim very well. The skimmer itself is well-designed.

The pumps on them are cheap, can't argue that. The Sicce PSK-2500 has restart issues which can be fixed by using a White Lightening or Red Devil needlewheel instead of the stock purple one. The way I see it is when the pump eventually dies, replace it with a better one. I find it is easier to spend $350 now, and $150 in a year or two for a replacement pump than spend $500-600 all in one go. Plus you got a year or two out of the first pump "for free".

The Vertex skimmers and EuroReef are good too. I have a couple of those as well. They are noisier than the SWC, but come with better pumps. You could mod the Vertex with a silencer on the air intake maybe..? Never tried it.
+1, I have had the pump quite on me on my SWC160... But I will say Jason at SWC was great to deal with and had a new one to me asap, under warranty. I wouldn't hesitate dealing with him again.

In regards to the restart issue, yes they do have this problem. The original pump that died and the new pump, both won't restart if unplugged then re-plugged. Easy fix was to just blow into the tubing of the air intake, always starts. The problem would be if the power goes out, well then it won't restart, and if you are not there, most likely will fry itself.

SWC is well built, and if possible, I would upgrade the pump right from the start. Not sure if you can do this, but contact SWC directly and ask.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 09-10-2011, 04:55 PM

pirate is on a distinguished road

I have tried an swc venturi skimmer, but could never get a realiable skim out of it. The cheep Berlin worked better then it. But it just died. ( still have both of them running in the sump). Are the cone ones better?
I know you get what you pay for, but some times the most expensive is no the best as you are paying for the name. That's why I'm asking.

Since I started this, I have a swc ( older cone one I think rated for 200+) that needs new pumps. Would it be better to re-pump that one or buy new? It has 2 sicce 2500 on it. If so what would be a better pumps to run on it?

Or stice with my original plan and buy a new one?
Old 09-10-2011, 05:39 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Have a garage sale..... Sell all the old skimmers, then buy a Bubble King
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 09-10-2011, 05:46 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
SWC is well built, and if possible, I would upgrade the pump right from the start. Not sure if you can do this, but contact SWC directly and ask.
SWC told me they are testing out a new pump for all the skimmers currently using the Sicce. Maybe next year they will have it out with a new pump...?

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:09 PM

ALBERTA REEF is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ALBERTA REEF

I have a asm 2g skimmer for sale. Here is the thread. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73964
Old 09-16-2011, 04:52 AM
Banned

unclesalty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Have a garage sale..... Sell all the old skimmers, then buy a Bubble King
Totally agree with you on the Bubble King- Its the best skimmer I have owned so far and I did just own an Vertex Alpha Cone previously which was an awesome skimmer as well.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:50 AM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

You can probably find a bbk mini 180 or 200 on canreef around 5-6 hundred. I would highly recommend it. I had the 180 running on my heavily stocked 210 for a year and it was awesome. The ease of cleaning along with top notch performance, and a built quality second to none. Once you use one it's hard to go back to any other skimmers. That's why when I finally upgraded, I bought the supermarin 250 with out a second thought. Guarranty you will love it. Btw did i mention they are quiet.
Vertex alpha cones are also a great choice but they are bout a grand new. Used ones are hard to come by.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013