Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-24-2011, 07:34 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

It would make sense to me to require all dog breeders to carry a form of business license and enforce certain regulations. The city already looks online for businesses advertising under a name that's not registered with the city so it wouldn't be much more trouble for them to look into dog breeding as a business as well. Looking currently on kijiji, with the number of puppies for sale is astonishing and most are clearly BYB.

I did my best to get my pup from a "reputable" breeder but it's pretty hard to tell so having better regulations is something everyone can benefit from. Signed the petition in person during dog class

Last edited by sphelps; 05-19-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:39 PM

Jamieh is on a distinguished road

Dissappointing Phelps that you would be lead but such tactics "all pet stores are bad" I hope in the future PETA doesn't turn their attention to the fish hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
It would make sense to me to require all dog breeders to carry a form of business license and enforce certain regulations. The city already looks online for businesses advertising under a name that's not registered with the city so it wouldn't be much more trouble for them to look into dog breeding as a business as well. Looking currently on kijiji, with the number of puppies for sale is astonishing and most are clearly BYB.

I did my best to get my pup from a "reputable" breeder but it's pretty hard to tell so having better regulations is something everyone can benefit from. Signed the petition in person during dog class
Old 03-24-2011, 07:41 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB View Post

Oh, and to who it was above who mentioned getting a boston terrier, please do your research on the problems common in the breed
Thanks for the advice champ. If you re-read my post you would know that I am not ready for one at this time. For the past 7 years I have had my heart set on one and yes I know about issues with the dog.

Aquattro - I am not used to small shops. where I used to work, dogs weren't around long enough for any employee to get attached to. I guess in a smaller shop or a town this would not be the case. But I do agree that they should not be in those boxes for long periods of time. Even some larger shops have incorporated a "play room."
Old 03-24-2011, 07:41 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieh View Post
Dissappointing Phelps that you would be lead but such tactics "all pet stores are bad" I hope in the future PETA doesn't turn their attention to the fish hobby.
Haha I don't think that at all, I don't agree with the petition on all levels, it's not perfect but IMO better than doing nothing.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:44 PM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post
Thanks for the advice champ. If you re-read my post you would know that I am not ready for one at this time. For the past 7 years I have had my heart set on one and yes I know about issues with the dog.
I did read it. I was only making sure, trying to save you heartbreak my friend.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:44 PM

Imagine there being a problem with wild caught fish so a petition is put out that keeping any fish be banned in the City of Calgary. Is it better to sign this petition or do nothing. I would suggest in regards to such a petition the answer is to do nothing with the petition and send your Councillor some better suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Haha I don't think that at all, I don't agree with the petition on all levels, it's not perfect but IMO better than doing nothing.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:45 PM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

I don't think this involves you. This petition is for Calgary.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:46 PM

Calgary this week, Winnipeg last week, when exactly should I put forward the actual truth?

Quote:
I don't think this involves you. This petition is for Calgary.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:50 PM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
These BYB's simply contribute to pet overpopulation, and the animals pay in the end by dying in shelters.
Exactly! Why are the pet retail stores being targeted instead of introducing tigher legislation to regulate dog sales?

Quote:
A pet store just makes it easy to impulse buy. And return it after Christmas. Hopefully, not just dump it somewhere.
Again, tighter regulations.

Quote:
the simple act of the pet store buying puppies from these BYB's and/or mills, is just keeping them in business.
Is there proof that the dogs are coming from a mill or a less than desireable BYB?
Old 03-24-2011, 07:52 PM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieh View Post
Imagine there being a problem with wild caught fish so a petition is put out that keeping any fish be banned in the City of Calgary.
This was proposed in the City of Vernon (BC) a year ago. This is the slippery slope that I keep referring to. Marine ornamentals are an easy target...much easier than people believe.