Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 12-01-2008, 02:49 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by traco View Post
Well, I set up the 55 gallon, sand and 2 pieces of live rock so far. And was still reading about skimmers and I just got hit .... the 55 gallon probably has room for a sump underneath? The cabinet measurements are 22" long by 26" high by 22" wide. How much more money is it to run a sump and have a skimmer in there compared to having a HOB skimmer? The Deltec HOB skimmer looks good ... ?
The Deltec is definately a good HOB skimmer. However, for the amount of money you spend on it you can get an in-sump skimmer that is quite a bit better.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:36 AM

traco is on a distinguished road

Yes, I know Shelley, funny how the lightbulb comes on ... didn't even think of that till tonight. I found a Deltec HOB for around $200.00. In sump ones start around $330? Can HOBs be used as a in sump skimmer?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:46 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

hob can be used in the sump aswell. The few beneficial reasons why we have sumps is more total water in system, neater display ie. heater, skimmer and whatever else in your sump and if you do it right, none to less microbubbles in your display. If you had a hob skimmer in the main tank you may experience micro bubbles. I figure the extra cost of a sump really depends on what you want, but basically it's an extra tank, return pump and glass/silicone. Once you go sump you never look back.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 12-01-2008, 06:07 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

[quote=tang daddy;364499]hob can be used in the sump aswell. The few beneficial reasons why we have sumps is more total water in system, neater display ie. heater, skimmer and whatever else in your sump and if you do it right, none to less microbubbles in your display. If you had a hob skimmer in the main tank you may experience micro bubbles. I figure the extra cost of a sump really depends on what you want, but basically it's an extra tank, return pump and glass/silicone. Once you go sump you never look back.[/QUOTE]

I agree