Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-25-2008, 09:48 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin65 View Post
I run a Mag 3 with mine same dimensions as the Mag 5. I just used some 3/4" hose fits on both well. Just slip it over the treads of the mag with a hose clamp.
I'm actually not sure if mine's a Mag 3 or 5...the sticker is worn off. It has all the connections from being on a Remora Pro, so it looks like I can just slip it on there.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:52 AM

I have changed so much in the tank in the last week that it will be very difficult to determine which changes are making a difference and which aren't. I changed the lighting from a Giesemann 6000K and Giesemann True Actinic to an Aqua Science 17,500K and a Korallen Zucht Fiji Purple. I'm waiting for a new KZ bulb though because it arrived broken. The AS 17,500K is waaaaaaaaay bluer than I was expecting. Since it has such a high PAR I was expecting it to run whiter than the 17,500K suggests. It's a lot bluer than the Hagen GLO 18,000K that I originally purchased with my T5 unit., and it's actually bluer than the Giesemann True Actinic, although that bulb is a little over a year old now. Even though the light is much bluer than I prefer it sure makes the corals look nice, and if it help get rid of the Valonia, then I might learn to like it a lot more!

I also added two Emerald Crabs. Plus the Kole Tang. Oh and for the record, the Kole Tang is DEFINATELY eating the Valonia. I can go in there at any time and observe it. It also looks like at least one Emerald crab is taking a liking.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:00 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I'm actually not sure if mine's a Mag 3 or 5...the sticker is worn off. It has all the connections from being on a Remora Pro, so it looks like I can just slip it on there.

It's a Mag 3 Myka.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
It's a Mag 3 Myka.
I figured so, thanks for clarifying! I'm finally hooking it up today onto my Remora. Trying to hide it all behind my rocks...

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:20 AM

Yes, it's a beast alright. One reason I was never that fond of the Remora set up. Sounds like Okguy has it figured out though. I recall seeing his set up when I purchased a couple of coral frags from him. I didn't even notice the Remora on his tank, that's how nicely camouflaged it was. Quiet too. I didn't find out about the Remora 'silencing' mods until after I cracked it and removed it.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Yes, it's a beast alright. One reason I was never that fond of the Remora set up. Sounds like Okguy has it figured out though. I recall seeing his set up when I purchased a couple of coral frags from him. I didn't even notice the Remora on his tank, that's how nicely camouflaged it was. Quiet too. I didn't find out about the Remora 'silencing' mods until after I cracked it and removed it.
Silencing mods?? Now you have my attention!! That Mag 3 is horrendously loud! Oh well, I'm going back to work out of province tomorrow, so it can be loud all it wants.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:39 AM

The silencing mod is for the injector compartment. If it's the Mag pump itself making noise I don't have a fix for that. The impeller is only a few months old. Do you have a rigid line connecting the pump to the skimmer or flexible vinyl? Vinyl would help reduce pump vibration/noise.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:52 PM

It's not the pump, it's the injector. I will have to Google some silencing mods on my next days off (Christmas).

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:35 PM

From what I can recall the injector silencing mods are quite simple/straightforward. You simply cut a piece of foam or something in the shape of the injector compartment and slip the assembly in there to muffle the sound.