Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2016, 07:23 AM

Ryanv is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for advice on Red Sea Max S-500 damaged by movers.

Apologies if this isn't the correct section.

I guess this is somewhat of a cautionary tale but I’m looking for advice on what to do next after movers chipped my tank.

I had moved out my dream tank, a Red Sea Max S-500, into a storage unit when my girlfriend moved in. Unfortunately I live in a condo so I can’t fill up a tank of that size just yet so keeping it in storage freed up much needed space and kept me from filling the urge of setting it up.
My now ex-girlfriend broke with me while on our Mexico vacation, moved out, and cancelled our storage unit so I decided to move it back home instead of continuing to pay storage fees. From previous times moving this tank, I know it takes four people to handle it properly so I had to quickly find three guys and a truck to help out.

I first looked at U-Haul for movers but noticed they outsource the labor anyway so I instead looked to Kijiji and found Done Right Movers (How ironic). Mistake #1

I found a moving team that would do the move quickly and they met up with me at the storage facility.
They loaded the S-500 frame onto their cart but the frame isn’t flat underneath because it has feet to stabilize it and that meant the frame wasn’t sitting right. No big deal, they tilted the frame on its side on their wooden cart. Mistake #2, which I didn’t clue into at first.

So as they were loading up the truck, I was given the paperwork to read over and sign. I did read everything over that the guy scribbled in but I didn’t realize or question why they wrote “job has no insurance” when I wasn’t asked about insurance or even the value of the tank. They just wrote “Amount Recoverable” as $189. Mistake #3

Anyway, they made it to my place not far away and, as they mentioned earlier, they required payment before unloading the truck. Mistake #4

As they were unloading the tank off the truck’s ramp, they were lowering it slowly and carefully but the tank hit the ground and we all heard it. I didn’t see anything right away until we got to my steps a minute later where there was more light. They pointed it out to me that two edges were chipped. I was clear to them that this tank has never touched the ground but they insisted they didn’t damage it. Maybe I should have just refused things right then and there? Mistake #5

We got the tank inside and on the stand and in the light I could see the front and larger sections of glass looked ok, I think. It was a chip so I think it should be fine.

I’m more worried about the back corner and I’m not quite sure how the chip goes up due to the black backing.
While looking over the glass I noticed the side panels of the stand/cabinet are scratched/rashed up, likely because of them setting the stand on its side on the cart. I may be able to use wax or something to buff that out but I’m really concerned about the tank itself, let alone the hit to resale value now.

The movers were back at their truck ready to leave and I asked for a copy of the paperwork. They wrote up a copy for me and I told them I really hope the glass isn’t ****ed because I don’t even want to guess the replacement cost for this tank. The boss then apologized for that, finally admitting their mistake.

Upon reviewing the paperwork, it states “No claims allowed unless reported within 48 hours” The tank was moved tonight so I have almost two days to think this over.
I realize I should have done many things differently. The time crunch I was put in got the better of me and now I’m stuck with my damaged dream tank.

What advice can you wonderful reefers offer me at this point?
  1. What can I do to repair the glass?
  2. What can I do to get rid of the scratches on the panels? I think its melamine with a pearl coating.
  3. Can I do anything to get some sort of reimbursement from the idiot movers?

Here's the front left edge:

Back left:

Some small grooves on one of the cabinet side panels:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160126_000533.jpg (14.8 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg 20160126_001105.jpg (14.3 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg 20160126_001458.jpg (7.4 KB, 204 views)