Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2010, 01:58 AM

darb is on a distinguished road

If that is all that the bylaw states is "reasonable" then I would say that the door is pretty much wide open to personal interpretation.

So personally, I would say that any production tank on the market is reasonable since they are commonly available through any LFS and mass produced .... sounds reasonable doesn't it?

I would also keep away from the strata if you are bent on getting as large of a tank as possible. Undoubtedly their interpretation of reasonable will come into play and may be considerably less that your interpretation. Maybe if you wan't to do some due diligence, start a poll in a thread and ask the question to your fellow peers: "what size aquarium do you think is reasonable?"

I am certainly not a structural engineer, but I can say that floors in a concrete mid/high rise are going to be a minimum of six inches of concrete and rebar; go into the stairwell of the building and you will be able to see how thick they are in the buildings that you are looking at. Again IMHO there is no way that 2 X 8/10s on 16 inch centres with a sheet of 1/2 inch ply on top are anywhere near as strong as 6 inches plus of concrete and steel.

So as long as you buy a production tank and stand combo and ensure that your insurance will cover you in event of catastrophic failure, you are within the realm of reasonable .....