Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2010, 11:18 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough
Default my 131g FOWLR

I have decided that I need to set up a FOWLR. There are so many wonderful fish out there that just aren't reef safe.. However, I have also decided that this pipe dream is only going to work if I can somehow plumb this tank into my existing mixed reef so that I can reuse existing equipment. I can't imagine having to change the skimmer, and do water changes on both tanks! Yikes!

Anyway, here's sort of what I had in mind. There are some challenges to overcome like the location of the two tanks. First up is a top down view of the setup.

The first sump sits under the mixed reef which is a room divider. The second tank will sit in an alcove/cantilever/recess which is 90 degrees to the mixed reef and about 2 feet away.

Here is a side view of the super sump.

I am not a plumber so I have no clue if this will even work I guess my biggest question/concern is the 2" pipe that connects the two sumps. Is that big enough? Will that work? Both sumps will be level to one another. While I'm at it, I figured I mind as well try to cram in a water change tank.

Plan B is to skip sump 2 all together and just plumb the FOWLR straight to sump 1. That's doable, but I was hoping I'd be able to leverage the second sump to allow for the water change scenario.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by kien; 03-11-2010 at 04:58 AM.