Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2009, 04:02 AM

reeferious is on a distinguished road
Default auriga butterfly in reeftank OUCH

had a baaaaaaaaaaaaad case of majano outbreak with literally hundreds covering rocks and even settling on living corals and clam mantles. i was using joe's juice, concentrated kalk paste and even electrocution to thin them down but they always come back and i ended up with about the same number as before. to even the odd i added a seagrass filefish which was supposed to pounce on majano like hog going after slop but obviously no one had taught this fish any of its supposed habits. next addition was an auriga butterfly i at first quarantined and provided with majano covered rock that the fish picked clean after 3 days. next couple frags thrown in were more or less ignored. feeling i had the fish trained on majano i released it into tank and it exploded into action taking sampling pecks at any and every corals before settling down to attack an acan and a red milli colony. the fish was taking turn attacking these two until it concentrated attack on the acan and stripped off 3/4 of its polyps before i intervened. meshing up bunch of majanos caught the butterfly's attention and i'm glad to say it has since dine mostly on majanos. now if i could turn the filefish's interest to majanos and between the two fish these devils wont stand a chance in hell.