Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2008, 08:47 AM

Kostas is on a distinguished road
Default Ok experienced reef keepers…I need your help!

I have a 4year old 90g tank with 150lbs pound of live rock – (not a reef tank - but one day might be when I update my lights) I bought a cooperband butterfly fish two weeks ago that will not eat anything (I have tried a lot of things) – the cooperband did clear up all my aptasia I had in my tank

Now to the issue I just bought about 50lbs of live rock today (for very cheap), but they are covered in MAJANOS (after doing a lot of research online most reef keepers clam it’s the devil and very hard to get rid of some don’t mind them – but they are not reef safe)
So I was going to dry out the live rock covered in Majanos for a few week to kill them all off – But I couldn’t help noticed that the rocks had some green mushrooms and star polyps on them ect…

If you are still reading this… here is my dilemma… What would you do if you were me, I need your help 

(1) Do I try and add some of the live rock in my 90g in hopes my cooperband might eat them and not die of starvation

(2)don’t even dare adding any of the Majanos covered live rock in my 90g because if the fish doesn’t eat the Majanos, then I just added live rock with Majanos in my established tank (that is free of Majanos) (yet has aptasia – which I hate and why I try and keep a buterfly fish)

(3) Just dry out live rock that I bought for a few weeks killing all the Majanos – who cares that I kill even the corals that are on it, the risk of spreading Majanos in my 90g is not worth it

(4) just add the live rock, I got Aptasia in the tank, Majanos not much different?

So what do you guys and gals thing I should do???

Note: right now I have the 50lbs of Majanos live rock rock in a 30g with premix salt and a heater and weak lights and very cheap filter (which is why I can’t just throw my cooperband in that tank) – I need to act fast if I plan to save those corals also..if I can.... the Majanos are EVERYWHERE!