Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2007, 08:29 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 30 second Ultralith challenge

Ever ooh and ah over the corals in Ocean Aquatics display tank? I have .I walked in one day and noticed Harold squirt something into the tank and walk away. My first thought was that looked too easy so I asked Harold what he had put in the tank. He told me it was the Ultralith system and explained it to me in about all of 2 minutes. I thought if it can make their tank look like that ,it could surely do something for mine. At first the cost worried me but Harold assured me I didn't have to buy everything so I purchased the following;
Ultralith media $22.99 1 litre
Ultra-Bio $44.99
Ultra Bak $21.99
Ultra Min $22.99
total $112.96

The Ultra- bio will last me about 2months
the others will last me 5-6months
This is for my 90 gallon mixed reef tank 20 gallon sump

On a nightly basis I use 8 drops Ultra-Bio
5 drops Ultra Bak
5 drops Ultra Min
This takes no more than 30 seconds a night and costs about $30 a month

To start the system, I dumped out my phosphate reactor and added 1/2 litre Ultralith media and let that run at about 70 gallons/hr for1month. After 1month I added the other 1/2 litre. I'm aproaching 2months and everything is looking great.
noticable changes; - diatoms disappeared
- water be came crystal clear within 2 weeks
- had a small amount cryno -now gone
- only algea on glass but only because I dose pyto which easily comes of with a swipe of a Mag float
- Increased polyp extension and brighter colours in
acros
2weeks after doing water changes my tank looks like I've just cleaned it.My wife asks me why I do water changes when it looks so clean!
I don't use any carbon ,phosphate remover or,UV.I haven't done anything different in terms of maintenance . I have actually added 4 more fish to the tank and increased the feedings!
This has worked for me with these dosages and routine for my tank with a heavy bioload.
Do I recommend this? - Absolutely! / Reasonable cost?-Yes! /Easy-Yeah,30 seconds a day. You should check it out.