Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-20-2007, 03:12 AM

Scavenger is on a distinguished road
Default Desided to quit smoking, what a weekend

Rather than go into it, here's a cut and paste of an email I sent a friend.

"So, I decide on Friday, that's it! No more smokes. Went on the patch and spent the day blowing up ballons and decorating for Sammie's birthday. Doing good, not really craving a smoke at all. Then, live on webcam, a balloon I was blowing up explodes in my face and puts a real nice scratch on my eye ball. It was bad enough that my eyelid would hang up on it when I blinked. OK so, now I'm temporarily mostly blind in one eye. Got through a kids party on eyedrops and a prayer. OK now I need a smoke!!!! I held out and made it to Saturday.

Woke up Saturday morning looking for something to keep my mind occupied. Desided to head out to the shop and work on the boat. Well 2 swipes of the grinder and the dust was unbearable on the eyeball. Being a smart guy, I went into the house and taped gauze over my bummed eye and started again. Well it seems using a power tool and having one eyeball isn't a good idea. Having no depth perseption, I promptly ground a nice chunk out of my hand. OK enough of this, now I'm in pain and really want a smoke. Time for a change of enviroment. Spent the day burning up a tank of gas in the van just cruising around town running errands. Toward the end of the day, I noticed the van seemed to be missing and sputtering. Took a look under the hood and found the culprit, a loose sparkplug wire. Tightened it up and the engine smoothed right out. Too bad I burned the hell out of my arm on the block doing the repair.

Sunday I spent cleaning, cursing and pacing around the house. I wonder why everyone left and went out????

Today I woke up and my left arm was sore, by late afternoon, it was numb from the shoulder to my finger tips. Oh Oh, this isn't good. I could even feel that my left hand was much colder and paler than my right. OK off to the hospital I went. Luckily I wasn't having a heart attack or similar, what happened was the concetrated dose of nicotine from the patch swelled some tissue around a artery in my arm restricting the blood flow. Oh great, my week is just getting better and better.

Tomorrow I plan on killing my fish tank, falling down the stairs and breaking my leg while falling on my ass onto a broken beer bottle as the only thing I can look forward to is a beer and a bite after work.

Bloody Hell
Ken"

As you can tell it hasn't been easy so far. But I thought it might give someone a chuckle.

Last edited by Scavenger; 02-20-2007 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:33 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
...while falling on my ass onto a broken beer bottle...
LOL. That part gave me a laugh indeed.

I quit smoking on January 1 (yeah, call me cliche), so it's been about 49 days or so. Keep it up, it gets easier!

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 02-20-2007, 03:39 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

good for you both! My hubby and I both quit about 4 years ago. I was a saint but man-o-man was he a for that first week.

It does get much easier.. pretty soon you dont even realize you arent smoking, cause you never think of it. Well.. almost never think of it...that first cup of coffee.. sit down with the paper and have a butt......
Old 02-20-2007, 05:38 AM

surgeonfish is on a distinguished road

KEEP UP THE EFFORT.
It will be well worth it in the end. Try not to kill your fish in the process.
300 gal starphire custom built in pentagon reef (+90 gal sump on Blue Line 100 HD return pump, 210lb LR, Euro-Reef RC250 skimmer, 2x400W MH, 2x28W compacts, 2xTurbelle classic 4002 pumps & Turbelle Stream 6100 on 7095 Multicontroller, running ZEOvit)

Livestock
Fish: damsels; sailfin, yellow, regal & naso tangs; ocellaris & tomato clowns; lyretail anthias; foxface lo; flame angelfish
corals: a few
Old 02-20-2007, 05:41 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

And just a side note: think of all the money that used to go to smokes that you can funnel into your aquarium fund

Yessssssss!!

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 02-20-2007, 05:46 AM

Fish is on a distinguished road

Congrats and all the best.

... I never knew quitting could be so bad for your health though....

- Chad
Old 02-20-2007, 04:11 PM

Murminator is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Murminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Iron_Chef View Post
And just a side note: think of all the money that used to go to smokes that you can funnel into your aquarium fund

Yessssssss!!
The best way to look at it

My grandmother smoked 2.5 packs a day for over 50 years and one day she just quit cold turkey and started putting that money everyday into a jar and then at the end of the week she takes out all the money and buys heroin she says it's a much better fix than nicotine

Good luck in quitting it will be worth it later in life

I reserve the right to hijack any thread I want to!!

My carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint !!!!