Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-30-2008, 12:10 AM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road
Default Randi's Bedroom Tank

dun dun dun

I realize that the 90 is pretty much empty..but I never was one for sticking with one project right to the end...so having said that, I introduce the plans for my (our) bedroom tank!

Initially I was going to go with a 75...but that's a little big for my liking in the bedroom. With a tank that size and the other half's tv there'd be to much focus on tv and tank rather than....other things.

Anyways.

I still have to call the guys at Red Coral, but I'm thinking a 40 or 50 gallon tank, drilled for a herbie system and returns through the back. Through the overflows down into a 10 gallon fuge and from there into a 33 gallon sump.

The 10 gallon would need to be drilled on one side as well in order for the water to flow through the fuge into some plumbing and down into the sump where it will be returned back into the tank.

Stand will be step style to make this easier and utilize as much of the stand space as possible
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:55 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Hi Im Randi. I will be your tour guide today here at seaworld. Just give us a call a we can shoot you a quote on whatever you need.

Doug.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 12-30-2008, 05:39 PM

More like small zoo Doug. Not including the future bedroom reef we've got 5 actual fishtanks (smallest is 10 gallons, largest is just under 400 gallons). 2 indoor ponds in the quanset, 1 which is an 18' diamter pool that runs 4 feet deep (houses the sharks *inster jaws music*) the other just over 2000 gallons which houses the "Monster" fish (Florida/spotted gars 20-23", motoro rays etc)

Then we've got 2 sulcata tortoises, a panther chameleon, 4 snakes, 5 geckos...and a dog

"Welcome to the zoo, admission is $5, which goes towards feeding all of our lovely animals"
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:23 PM

We're going rimless! I've been talking to Kevin and we've decided on a 36x18x18 Rimless 1/2" thickness glass.

Other half will be taking care of building the stand, will post pics when the time comes.

Dry Stock list:
Tank (36x18x18)
10 gallon fuge (will have deep sandbed and some sort of algae..not sure what type, but it's not too big of a deal)
33 gallon sump
Return Pump...I havn't decided what pump. The quite one I have in the 90 isn't all that quite, so I might have to pick another brand OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS
Live Rock. I'll be doing the pvc structure for the first time in any of my tanks so this should be interesting.
I'll be going with a T5 unit...36 inches probably 4 bulbs.

Stocking:
NO CLUE

My Fancy Schmancy Drawings showing the plans for the 10 gallon Fuge and 33 sump:

Le Fuge:

Le Sump:

Last edited by Rbacchiega; 12-30-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:35 PM

Every other reef tank I have shouldn't be doing as well as it is according to things I've read. I don't run any sort of reactors, I very rarely dose and I do maintenance when I remember.

I kind of want this one to be different. I might just go all out on this tank. I still have to talk to Kevin and Doug about the tank and stand, but that's pretty much set. I was thinking of going with an ehiem return pump, but might just stick with the quietone, find a way to keep it off the bottom of the tank to help with the noise. I figure a 4000 will do the trick as this will be only LPS.

I'm even considering buying reactors. There won't be a need for an auto top off (unless I need to hook one up for when we go away) because it's in our room...we're there every night LOL.

Any suggestions on the "gotta have" additions for a tank?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:19 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Never hurts to run a Phosban/Carbon reactor... Red Coral has some complete packages (reactor, Phosphate media, pump, hose) for a great price..

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988