Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 04-26-2010, 02:36 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road
Default Help ! Flame Angel Not Well

I added a Flame Angel to my tank on April 1. He's always been shy and I'm planning on re-aquascaping so he doesn't have quite so many places to hide.

4-5 days ago, I noticed his coulour was off a bit. This morning when I shut the Koralias off to feed, he came out and paraded around a bit and I got a really good look at him and he's definately not well. He's pale and has some kind of skin issue. It appears like his mucus is rough (he's not got his usual sheen) and slightly milky and isn't adhering to his body as it would normally. I don't think it's ich but it does have a white-ish powdery sort of look to it.

He's eating but he seems a slightly lethargic.

Thoughts ?

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:05 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Have you added anything else recently? What you describe sounds like Marine Velvet. I would take out the flame and hospitalize him so you can observe and treat. Also keep an eye out on the other fish as what he has is probably very contagious. If it is Marine Velvet (I hope it isn't!!), it can wipe out your whole tank if not treated soon.. like right now!
Old 04-26-2010, 04:37 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Have you added anything else recently? What you describe sounds like Marine Velvet. I would take out the flame and hospitalize him so you can observe and treat. Also keep an eye out on the other fish as what he has is probably very contagious. If it is Marine Velvet (I hope it isn't!!), it can wipe out your whole tank if not treated soon.. like right now!
+1, could be marine velvet... Mark post some pic's if you can, so we can see.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 04-26-2010, 06:51 PM

From the decription, I can't say that it couldn't be marine velvet. All that has been added to this tank since the Angel (who was put in at the same time as a Green Chromis and a Bulldozer Shrimp -all of which came from the same, established tank) is a piece of SPS from and a Star Polyp frag (both from Globaldesigns' tank).

All other tank inhabitants seem fine (eating and behaving normally). Tested fro Amonia, Nitite and Nitrate this morning and all are zero. I did a 5 gal water change yesterday (as I usually do each week).

I have some copper treatment I got with the tank but I don't have a quarantine tank to administer it in ! Catching him might be a challenge as well.

from what I gather, treating copper in my display may help the angel but will harm just about everything else !

gaargh !

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post
From the decription, I can't say that it couldn't be marine velvet. All that has been added to this tank since the Angel (who was put in at the same time as a Green Chromis and a Bulldozer Shrimp -all of which came from the same, established tank) is a piece of SPS from and a Star Polyp frag (both from Globaldesigns' tank).

All other tank inhabitants seem fine (eating and behaving normally). Tested fro Amonia, Nitite and Nitrate this morning and all are zero. I did a 5 gal water change yesterday (as I usually do each week).

I have some copper treatment I got with the tank but I don't have a quarantine tank to administer it in ! Catching him might be a challenge as well.

from what I gather, treating copper in my display may help the angel but will harm just about everything else !

gaargh !
Don't put any copper in your tank. Copper will kill your inverts, but more importantly will ruin your rock for future inverts etc. Treating with copper should be kept to a quarantine tank only, IMO...

My tank is clean, so giving you 2 frags wouldn't of given you any disease.

HMMMM, was the flame angel from a LFS? my first potters angel had a flesh eating disease, and developed a few days after getting him. I returned him and got another, maybe it came with the fish.

If you come over, I have some liquid vitamins and some liquid garlic that you may want to try using. You soak it into the food, and will hopefully give him some boost to fight whatever it is.

Let me know, I am around if you want to come grab it to try.

Rick

Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Old 04-26-2010, 07:45 PM

Nope, the angel (and cromis and bulldozer shrimp) came from a guy who was shutting down his tank due to a move.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:23 PM

Well, I went to Red Coral to pickup some vitimins for him and raced home to try and start treatment but he was already gone.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:59 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Make sure you keep a very close eye on the other fish. If it is Marine Velvet it can be very contagious and can develop very very quickly. By the time you see the typical symptoms it is almost too late
Old 04-27-2010, 01:30 AM

Mark, sorry to hear of the loss... Keep an eye on things, and don't put anymore fish in there until you know things have stabilized.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:51 AM

hqgc is on a distinguished road

sounds like flukes! Just went through it , lost my whole tank! possibly treat with prazipro?
anyone?