Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-05-2008, 04:15 AM

Douglas is on a distinguished road
Default running wavebox

Hi there, just wondering if i should run my present powerheads, in my 72gal reef tank, with my new wave box. Should waveboxes be run seperatly? To allow the wavebox to run, and perform properly? Will the powerheads be too much, or defeat the wavebox purpose?
I'm running 2 Koralia 4's, and a mag12 return pump. Doug
Old 10-05-2008, 04:43 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

I am running my regular size (not nano) wave box, Tunze 6100 and two 6055 nano tunze pumps on tunze multy controller.
This is on 36" long 60 Gal tank.
Yes, in my case if i run all pumps it does reduse the size of the wave slightly cmpare to when wave box is running alone.
Nevetheless, when i run wave box with one pump shooting the same direction, it does not affect wave hight. It will not make it higher ether.

In general i find that if i can direct pumps in a way that one pump sort of picks up the flow from the other this will increase overall linear flow. Even when second pump is in the corner and shoots in the any other direction it still helps as long as 2nd pump picks up the flow from the 1st one.

hth
Old 10-05-2008, 05:30 AM

slakker is on a distinguished road

I think you still want to have the power-heads going... I read aside from the wave motions for the corals, the other benefit is the rocking keeps the detritus suspended, and you want to keep the flow to carry it away to your sump or filter system.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:35 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

A wavebox is designed to be supplemental flow, so you should keep your powerheads going at the same time. As long as the powerheads aren't creating flow in direct conflict with the wavebox (i.e. flow aimed directly at the wavebox outlet) the wave action should not be affected. You can make the wavebox's job a lot easier, however, by making sure that it has a clean shot from one side of the tank to the other end.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:03 AM

blaster is on a distinguished road

On my four foot tank i can only have the wave on one setting otherwise i don't have any wave.Thats the setting that has quick pulses.I'm curious as to what every one else does.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:31 AM

Douglas is on a distinguished road

well...i've been running the nano wavebox for a day, along with my powerheads and circulation pump. And i can say, that i'm not very impressed. The "nano wavebox" has not produced any kind of wave action at all. I've tried various speeds, and several combinations of pump(s) and wavebox, and no wave has been produced. I'm kind'a thinking it's underpowered, or i might be running it with too powerful of powerheads and pumps to create any kind of wave action. Do waveboxes have to run for a long period of time before i see any type of action? Doug
Old 10-10-2008, 04:40 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
well...i've been running the nano wavebox for a day, along with my powerheads and circulation pump. And i can say, that i'm not very impressed. The "nano wavebox" has not produced any kind of wave action at all. I've tried various speeds, and several combinations of pump(s) and wavebox, and no wave has been produced. I'm kind'a thinking it's underpowered, or i might be running it with too powerful of powerheads and pumps to create any kind of wave action. Do waveboxes have to run for a long period of time before i see any type of action? Doug

Unless the nano wavebox is undersized for your tank (i.e. +4 feet or +150 gallons), the effect should be seen within a few seconds. However, you have to adjust the wavebox in the tiniest increments to get a good wave. Each tank has its own harmonic sweet spot depending on dimensions and rockwork. Adjust it a little and wait a minute to see the effect then adjust it a little more, etc. It takes patience, but you should eventually get it.

The sweet spot is usually somewhere around the 10:30 position (at least on the standard "big" wavebox controller. I don't know about the nano wavebox controller). As mentioned, the wavebox works best if it has a straight clean shot across the length of the tank.