Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 03-20-2012, 04:08 AM

clowny is on a distinguished road
Default Leaking Overflow Bulkhead

I purchased a tank about 1 year ago and have finally ordered all the parts and supplies to get it going. As I was filling the tank I found a massive leak between the glass and the bulk head in the Overflow. I tried to tighten but as I turned the nut the whole bulkhead turned with it. Now the problem is I cannot move the nut without moving the whole bulk head. Problem 2 is the nut is in the overflow. How do i fix/remove this bulk head???? to make sure this leak is settled before the wife kills me and the hard wood is ruined?! Picture added. the 1.5 inch bulk head is the leaking one (big one).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0754.JPG (128.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0753.JPG (128.9 KB, 70 views)
Old 03-20-2012, 04:10 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

you'll have to remove it, (if possible) the silicone the gasket to the glass, then silicone the bulkhead to the gasket, then a nice bead around the bulkhead, problem solved. I had the same problem, and now I'm having others
Old 03-20-2012, 04:12 AM

any advice on how to remove it? we tried for 2 hours turning and turning I guess I will just keep twisting and hope it finally starts to losen.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:15 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

are you twisting it the right way they are trick once they get tightened I found. might have to get your wife to hold from the top and you screw from the bottom, remember righty tighty lefty loosey
Old 03-20-2012, 04:21 AM

LOL yeah we were twisting left the problem is the previous owner glued or sealed the nut to the bulk head thus causing them to twist together.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:54 AM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

It is probably not glued. It is probably frozen with salt creep. I used a hacksaw blade on a stick to cut one side. This was very difficult.

I do not think that you can fix it without getting it out.

Good luck

Tom R
Old 03-20-2012, 05:00 AM

Mike-fish is on a distinguished road

2 channel lock pliers should do the trick
Old 03-20-2012, 05:44 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I wish you luck getting it out.

You say the nut is in the overflow ..... I hope this means the bulkhead goes into the overflow from the tank. If it exits the overflow to air, then it was installed backwards and this may be why it leaked.
The gasket goes on the wet side and the nut goes on the dry side. The reason for this is how it seats to the gasket.
Anyway ....
Once you get it out, I'd recommend you buy a new replacement and install it dry. Just past hand tight is a starting point. The gaskets do not like to seal more than once, so make sure you are finished playing with the plumbing before you tighten it.
I learned this when I tried to turn one last month. It would not re-seal.

Silicone may work for some, but it's not recommended as it can cause the gasket to squish out.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:52 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
I wish you luck getting it out.

You say the nut is in the overflow ..... I hope this means the bulkhead goes into the overflow from the tank. If it exits the overflow to air, then it was installed backwards and this may be why it leaked.
The gasket goes on the wet side and the nut goes on the dry side. The reason for this is how it seats to the gasket.
Anyway ....
Once you get it out, I'd recommend you buy a new replacement and install it dry. Just past hand tight is a starting point. The gaskets do not like to seal more than once, so make sure you are finished playing with the plumbing before you tighten it.
I learned this when I tried to turn one last month. It would not re-seal.

Silicone may work for some, but it's not recommended as it can cause the gasket to squish out.
+1....previous owner installed the bulkhead wrong....... a good general rule is to replace any bulkheads when buying a used system.....or at least the gaskets...I would also add that when you instal the bulkhead dry, make sure the glass on both side of the hole are squeaky clean
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 03-20-2012, 06:00 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Ack, I didn't look at the pictures.

Yup, your bulkheads are backwards. Better replace both as you're probably going to trash them during removal.