Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-26-2010, 05:18 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road
Default iPhone 4 Data Use Question

Looking at getting an iPhone 4 with a data plan and costing it out.

Just wondering how much data would be used day-to-day on e-mail, browsing, monitoring an Apex monitor, and other use of the iPhone 4, if most of my browsing was done on my computer or iPad through the home router and only using the iPhone data browsing during travel and when not at home or work.

Also does the thing automatically switch from the phone company's wireless data access to your wireless router if you are within range of your router?
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 08-26-2010, 05:31 PM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

Kind of a loaded question. I have a 3G and find that my minimal data plan is sufficient. I don't browse too much as I find I can wait to get home. Your phone will switch to networks that are available.

You will find where there are free wifi networks or open networks if you need. If you travel outside Canada, be careful of your data plan and it's limits. It can get rather costly even just with email. Set your phone to manual for the data push so you use it only when you want.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:34 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I can't speak to the Iphone 4 specifically but I have the Iphone3GS on the 1 gig data plan.

I find most months it's probably overkill for me. I check mail, facebook, watch the odd youtube video, check stocks, etc. all online. When I'm at home it automatically detects my routers wireless network and uses that, when I'm on the go of course I'm on Telus' network. The reason I keep the 1 gig service is because we're out in the country and our internet connection here is ok when it's working but is quite unreliable. The "internet tether" feature on the iphone is priceless to me when our domestic internet is crapping out again.

I'd recommend starting with the lowest plan you can... they are always happy to bump you up if needed but tend to argue if you're downgrading your plan. My 3GS has a feature to monitor usage so I know when I've gotta slow down.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:43 PM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

as IT guy that supports these things, unless you are tethering to your computer you only need about 1gig.

even with 1gig i recommend never turning on your WIFI or bluetooth as it will waste battery life.

We have competitions here and trying really hard and lots of tethering most of the month ive only gotten up to 2.5g. Most of my users are under 200mb.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:44 PM

Sean is on a distinguished road

I signed up for the 3g when it first came out and they had that out cry about not having unlimited data. I have 6 gigs and it is way over kill. The first month you might use over 500megs but after that I don't think you will come close. Aslong as you stay on wifi for apps and music downloads you should be okay.

I think it seriously the first few months that are killer as you are browsing the web every chance you get and following yourself on googlemaps.. After that when you are just using it for checking emails and finding a quck item 500meg plan should be enough. Just double check to see how much it will cost to go over a meg or 2
Old 08-26-2010, 05:53 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

I have the Telus $50 plan (500Meg?) and have never gone over. I use it all the time for browsing , Apex, emails etc. I work 12Hr graveyards so I am on the thing basically on and off all night. As long as you dont watch alot of youtube or read emails with big attachments you will be fine. The only complaint I have is that I can only get about 10 hours out of the battery when surfing.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:09 PM

Llamarama is on a distinguished road

+1 the fiancee and i both have the 3gs and have never used more than 500megs but are both on the 6gig plan from rogers...it is way overkill but why not get the 6 gig plan on promo for $30 per month when its $25 for 1 gig normally...that was our thinking I suppose....and it automatically switches from 3g to wifi when we're at home and it has the option to turn on or off as well but i wouldnt worry about ever ever going over 1gig from regular surfing/email checking. I also overheard a rogers associate explaining that through rogers anyway the social networking apps are not charged as data just if you are using safari...but not too sure how that works or if it's a special plan
Old 08-26-2010, 10:08 PM

Sean is on a distinguished road

Yeah, that promo is kind of a sucker punch, I tried to downgrade my megs and they were like yeah you will be paying the same and losing gigs. Then i wanted to remove the voice mail and they said.. Yeah you will lose your text messages and pay the same to get them back..

Long story short, there is no way I can downgrade my rogers bill from 95 dollars a month
Old 08-26-2010, 11:52 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

OK thanks for the replies, looks like 500 MB is more than enough.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 08-27-2010, 12:01 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

we have both the iphone 4 and the iphone 3g its too early to tell with the iphone 4 but on my 3g i have a 1gig plan and its enough i did go over 500mb a few times so like some one mentioned start off on the cheapest plan and then if you need more thell bump it up no prob. the good thing about my 3g was i got all kinds of free packages to try out all free for a few months but the iphone 4 never offered any bonuses of anykind for anytime it was jump right into a plan

best phone youll ever have