Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-30-2010, 12:04 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road
Default Harlequin Shrimp

I got one of these last spring. I feed him a about an inch of sandsifter starfish leg every week and a half. Does anybody else have one of these? And am I feeding it enough? I did research but found nothing on how often they eat. Oh yeah, the starfish was frozen. I'm not mutilating a live one in case anyone is wondering.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:11 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Used to have a breeding pair of them they are great to watch fed them a whole live starfish about every two weeks or so they are just so expensive to feed. I found all my info here http://www.chucksaddiction.com/harlequinshrimp.html

360 Reef Tank
Old 07-30-2010, 12:12 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

i have heard of people keep numourus stars and cutting off legs to feed... they keep numerous so the leg has grown back by the time its time to cut another off that star..
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:08 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 View Post
Used to have a breeding pair of them they are great to watch fed them a whole live starfish about every two weeks or so they are just so expensive to feed. I found all my info here http://www.chucksaddiction.com/harlequinshrimp.html
Yeah I was worried about it rotting in my tank, that's why I froze it. The shrimp's about 1" and I feed a peice the same size as him. It is pretty cool to watch it eat. So I guess I'll feed every 4 days now. Would that be good enough?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:56 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

I bought one for my 170g reef about 3 months ago, have been putting stars in there but I see him again until a few nights ago. I kind of skimped out for a couple weeks so I think he has been living off my astrinias.

Will be getting a second when I come by one, AMAZING personality when they are out and man I know it's inhumane but I love how they subdue starfish and slowly eat them .

Quote:
I'm not mutilating a live one in case anyone is wondering.
Why do humans have such a problem with nature , I find an open polyp eating a copepod to be pretty fascinating how would this be any different? Just one invert eating another .
Old 07-31-2010, 06:45 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
I bought one for my 170g reef about 3 months ago, have been putting stars in there but I see him again until a few nights ago. I kind of skimped out for a couple weeks so I think he has been living off my astrinias.

Will be getting a second when I come by one, AMAZING personality when they are out and man I know it's inhumane but I love how they subdue starfish and slowly eat them .

Why do humans have such a problem with nature , I find an open polyp eating a copepod to be pretty fascinating how would this be any different? Just one invert eating another .
I do not have a problem with nature.