Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 07-05-2012, 04:33 AM

Seriak is on a distinguished road
Default led for indoor plant

Anyone try using Leds to grow indoor plants. I just can't seem to keep my hibiscus alive. Thought I could use leds. Anyone researched this?
Old 07-05-2012, 05:34 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I have. I find 42w Phillips Daylight 6500k CFL bulbs do a better job than even 6500k LEDs. I kept a Key Lime tree indoors last winter than bloomed and even set some fruit when under both LEDs and CFL, but eventually withered away towards the end of winter after my CFL bulb blew & I didn't replace it.

I am using LEDs over my fw planted tanks with good success.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:07 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I built a plant light from good 3W red and blue LEDs replicating some of the higher end fixtures available. It worked OK but when plants where moved outside they grew twice as much in a few days than they did in a month under the LEDs. I ran 28 LEDs for a dozen small plants.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:43 PM

Well I don't want growth as they are in my Chameleon cages I just don't want them to die.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:52 PM

Don't your Chameleons need special lighting? I would assume what's good enough for a Chameleon would be good enough for plants.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:53 PM

reefgirl189 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
I have. I find 42w Phillips Daylight 6500k CFL bulbs do a better job than even 6500k LEDs.
I just recently set up this exact bulb over my hibiscus as I was having the same issue. Every other houseplant is doing very well but the hibiscus is always finicky. I forgot to turn this light on for a couple days and low and behold, a couple leaves yellowed however every day the plant has the light on it's happy. I guess this plant is just very light happy. I know they also benefit from a good misting every other day.

I should just hook it up the the Apex controller to have it turn on the light for me, now that I think about it .
Old 07-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Thanks guys I went and bought a couple of these bulbs. Man they are huge. The Chameleons require UVB which is not enough or the right K for the Hibiscus. I have a mistking mister that mists the cages 4 times a day so they should be getting enough water.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:55 PM

I always thought typical reptile bulbs are full spectrum with quartz glass to allow UVB/A to pass through so I don't really know what you mean by wrong K. I know many plant enthusiasts use reptile type bulbs for their UVB to aid in certain blooming times.

Last edited by sphelps; 07-05-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I always thought typical reptile bulbs are full spectrum with quartz glass to allow UVB/A to pass through so I don't really know what you mean by wrong K. I know many plant enthusiasts use reptile type bulbs for their UVB to aid in certain blooming times.
To obtain proper plant growth you need around 6500 K. I use 5.0 UVB bulbs which are around 21000 K. The plant is just not successful under that range.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:08 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriak View Post
To obtain proper plant growth you need around 6500 K. I use 5.0 UVB bulbs which are around 21000 K. The plant is just not successful under that range.
Ya, with those bulbs there's not much in the wavelengths that the plant can use for synthesis. I've found hibiscus to need a bit more in the red than the blue.

I use sunblasters (26w and 55w) through the winter and I've grown a 4 ft avocado tree, a 3 ft mango tree, limes, plumeria, and started a few grapefruit seedlings in December that are several inches high now. So, they seem to work pretty good.

The artificial lighting has nothing on real sunlight. Sunlight will grow things several fold faster and is magnitudes more intense. I've had plants under 200W CFLs burn after putting them out into sunlight in the spring.