Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road
Unhappy I think I murdered my sea hare!

I picked up a sea hare and a Royal Gramma yesterday at Golds. Oh ya...also a Koralia 3 powerhead. Went home for lunch at found some mangled remains hanging from the powerhead and the sea hare was nowhere to be seen! I did not think there was anyway he could have gone though the grill but I have a hunch he was sucked through like cheese through a grater! Crap!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:26 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I hate powerheads. You need to put a larger grill surrounding the intake of the powerhead somehow. They shouldn't even make them without very large intake grills.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

My sea hare had a near-fatal accident with a Seio powerhead. I only have Koralia 3's in the tank now, and the sea hare is able to crawl all over them without being sucked in. Granted, he IS a big boy.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 PM

fiorano is on a distinguished road

i used to have these old power heads and the intake was a small hole probably about 1/2 inch and one morning i woke up and saw my regal stuck to my power head. she lived but now she had a crazy hicky looking thing on her side for awhile hahaha
Old 03-25-2008, 11:55 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

no problem with the tank after chopping up a hare?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:13 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Them seahare's are toxic! I'd do a large waterchange if I were you!

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:55 AM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road
Default Seahare

Seahare woe's.....If the tank water isn't purple you are probably ok..I have had a couple of incidents with seahares..I finally put sponge around all my intakes and no more sea hare accidents..works well with anenomes too. My son's tank went all purple when his seahare got caught in an intake..as for toxins..hard to say how it would affect it as he transfered all his livestock very quicly in to another tank..he did some water changes over the next few days and all the stuff on the rock was fine..no worse for wear..so unless a member has had a massive die off I dont think I would panic just yet..Do a partial water change and if you dont have any put some charcoal or chemi-pure in a filter...good luck..
Old 03-26-2008, 03:58 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

I had a seahare die on me and nothing out of the ordinary happened aside from my skimmer cup filling faster than usual.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:02 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

sea hares are not toxic. I think you're thinking about nudibranchs or sea cucumbers. But yeah they do decompose surprisingly fast and that could lead to water quality problems if the tank is small enough.

sea hares, sea cukes, and the like all need tanks that have nothing that might suck em up and/or chop em up; sponge or fine mesh over intakes is recommended. koralia's are notoriously bad for acting as blenders. remember that these guys are really soft and are really nothing more than sacks of flesh filled with goo. they can shift their shape quite easily.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:09 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

There is nothing out of the ordinary in the tank this morning. I just received my RO/DI unit from Aquasafe this last night and I will do a good water change after I get it setup and generate a few gallons.