Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Lower Mainland

Old 06-14-2006, 09:23 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road
Default 390 gallon installation

I'm looking for Vancouverites who might have experience/tools that would be helpful for moving a 500lb acrylic tank into my home. The tank will arrive Sunday, Aug 27 at 4PM.

In case you are wondering...that's 6'L x 4'W x 26"H x 1".

Brad.

Last edited by untamed; 08-29-2006 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Updated info.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:27 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

BooYah!! That sounds awesome!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 09:48 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

Where in the home is the tank going?

Are there any steps? Turns?

Obviously it is going to have to go on its side to go through doorways, and turning ability is going to be limited. De-glazing large front windows also provides access to your home if they are large enough.

You will probably want to use flat furniture movers, the ones that are basically a square board with 4 wheels covered in carpet. This way you can wheel it around instead of carrying.

You might want to look into glass suction cups if you need to grip the tank and a corner/edge is not useable. They basically suction to the glass, and have a handle for you to hold. Make sure they are meant for that kind of weight though, a window company might be willing lend you a pair for a night, or a weekend.

Other than that have lots of people, and ropes, straps, beer, etc.

Post some more details and we can help more.

Old 06-14-2006, 09:49 PM

Hmmmm, glass suction cups on acrylic, don't know if that works or not???

Other things to think about would be leveling the stand before putting the tank on it, and adding a layer of insulation foam between the stand and tank.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:10 PM

Good thoughts...all.

Yes, the tank will be moving on it's side. There's no turns. There's a choice of using a straight, exterior stairway...or a hill with bad (gravel) footing. It's possible that the tank could actually toboggan down the gravel with straps holding it back...

If we take the gravel hill, there isn't even any doors to go through!

The stand is mostly done, but I've not put any foam on it. Why do you think that foam is needed? I mean...it's flat. Putting foam on it isn't going to make it any more flat.

I'm thinking that a few of those suction cups would be helpful. To use them, I would need to strip off the protective covering on the spots where we would want to suck. I think they would work equally well on acrylic, but I'll check that out.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:23 PM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed
Good thoughts...all.

Yes, the tank will be moving on it's side. There's no turns. There's a choice of using a straight, exterior stairway...or a hill with bad (gravel) footing. It's possible that the tank could actually toboggan down the gravel with straps holding it back...

If we take the gravel hill, there isn't even any doors to go through!

The stand is mostly done, but I've not put any foam on it. Why do you think that foam is needed? I mean...it's flat. Putting foam on it isn't going to make it any more flat.

I'm thinking that a few of those suction cups would be helpful. To use them, I would need to strip off the protective covering on the spots where we would want to suck. I think they would work equally well on acrylic, but I'll check that out.
Foam will eliminate any uneveness of your stand and reducing stress points as a result of the uneveness.post more info as time approaches. I will help out in anyway I can.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:26 PM

Hmmmm, do they have "off road" furniture dollies?

The foam is to spread out the weight evenly and irregularities have less of a chance of causing your tank to crack. What is your stand made of? Could it warp 5 years down the road? It doesn't cost much, it is usually in pink or blue sheets at the hardware store, for the price I would use it for peace of mind.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:48 PM

The stand is wood...2x4s, 2x6s and 3/4" plywood...nothing too fancy. I suppose there is a chance that it could warp over time....but under 4000lbs of weight, I think any warpage forces couldn't overcome the force straight down.

I suppose it isn't a big deal...it's just 1/2" of additional height that wasn't in the plan. I'll look at it.

Does the foam compress at all under the weight of a tank?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:59 PM

Yes it does, how much depends on whether your tank supports everywhere, or just on the edges.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReefGeek
Yes it does, how much depends on whether your tank supports everywhere, or just on the edges.
By my math, 4000 lbs over 24 sqft = 167lbs/sqft. I just tested a piece of that foam and I don't get any compression when I put all my 140lbs onto an area of only 6" square. My guess is that it isn't going to compress at all.