Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-30-2011, 07:25 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Felicia's BESTEST Christmas Present - RSM130 SEAHORSE tank!!!

So, Felicia is another reefer-in-training and she's been wanting either jellyfish, an octopus tank or seahorses. Guess which one I decided to set up for her as her Christmas present (hint - look at my screen-name)

An ex-reefer friend pmed me on Tuesday about a RSM he wanted to sell. Went over there 3:00pm Wednesday out in Kits area. Tank was dirty and had been sitting dry, but uncleaned since being drained several months ago. Brought it home and scrubbed it down and hosed it off. Washed a half bucket of sand outside as well.

Here's what the empty tank looked like when I got it home.

Had a 50g barrel of sw mixed and ready for a water change so placed the washed tank on stand. Added sand and placed bowl on sand before pumping in roughly half newly mixed water (3 days mixing) and half water from my 165g reef.

Added fully cured live rock (been sitting in my sump for months) and continued filling up tank.

Plugged in all the equipment and made sure tank was running properly.

Added some macro algae and a few frags. Went out to J&L to pick up a couple of "ponies" for Felicia that Jeff had saved for me (thanks Jeff & John at J&L).

Full tank with stand shots:

And here they are:

Two yellow females but I can't remember what species they were listed at although the same "looking" seahorses at King Ed's were listed as captive bred Kudas.

Thanks for looking.

Anthony
Old 12-30-2011, 07:59 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Everytime I start to feel addicted, all I have to do is remind myself of you and suddenly I'm not worried anymore.

Just kidding. Great looking little setup there Anthony! Cool little ponies too.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:04 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Well Done Felicia! Enjoy your ponies.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Looks great but this is one I won't be sharing with my wife. She wants the horsies REAL bad!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:59 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Looks awesome Anthony! Lucky kid!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:15 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Looks good buddy. keep those pictures coming.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 12-30-2011, 10:21 PM

msjboy is on a distinguished road
Smile

Nice tank! Now the newborn also needs a tank....how about a nocturnal biotope tank...saves cost on lighting.

Msjboy
Old 12-30-2011, 11:21 PM

jjntm is on a distinguished road

hey Anthony, nice set-up... I'm jealous...lol... just noticed the koralia in the tank and was curious if you have ever had any issue's with them in the tank... I have attempted h.erectus' once and lost one to microbubbles and the other to a koralia... is was a koralia 3 in a 135 gal mind you... but just wanted to hear your experience with them... I have been dying to try again, but not willing to until I figure out the perfect set-up for a few in a larger tank....
Old 12-31-2011, 12:48 AM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

So you never let it cycle at all?

Not worried? I know you said cured rock and all. But the sand you washed could still cycle. I washed mine back in the beginning. And it definitely cycled.

Nice set up. I am curious to try horses.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:19 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjntm View Post
hey Anthony, nice set-up... I'm jealous...lol... just noticed the koralia in the tank and was curious if you have ever had any issue's with them in the tank... I have attempted h.erectus' once and lost one to microbubbles and the other to a koralia... is was a koralia 3 in a 135 gal mind you... but just wanted to hear your experience with them... I have been dying to try again, but not willing to until I figure out the perfect set-up for a few in a larger tank....
The HK is NOT turned on. I added in there before the seahorses but am going to pull it out soon. No need for extra flow. Just one RSM powerhead is enough flow for the seahorse tank.

Anthony