Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Rene

Default Live rock

I'm looking to buy some live rock. What kinds of things should I be looking for in my rock? How can I tell if its good rock?

Last edited by Rene; 03-13-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:42 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

One word - porosity. Avoid big heavy bricks which have little surface area, are harder to stack and are plain boring. Porous rock holds more bacteria/hitchhikers, creates better structures and allows more flow for less money.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:50 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

You're going to get pretty different answers. For me...I'm much less interested in shape and porosity as I am interested in biodiversity (life on/in the rock) and environmentally responsible harvest.

So...you need to figure out what you want your aquarium to be and find the rock that meets your specific needs. There's no single "best" way to do things.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 03-11-2008, 01:32 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I look for porosity as well. Pick the rocks up...they should be kinda light for their size. Less porous rocks will be really heavy. I look for good shapes as well. Stay away from the brick shape!! Go for long and skinny or plate-like, which are my preferences. Personally I don't like a lot of bio-diversity on the rocks as I find most of that diversity tends to be algaes! I really like to put my fresh live rock into bins and "cook" it in the dark with a powerhead and a heater, doing weekly 100% waterchanges until the phosphates read 0 (this may take 12 weeks or more). I will never again set up a tank without cooking the LR.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:30 AM

bv_reefer is on a distinguished road

I second for porosity, especially if you got nice light rock like fiji thats full of holes, it's so practical for attaching corals and easy to stack and secure, watch out for the aiptasia infested rocks, and obviously as much coraline as possible..

My reef~http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...-/P4300459.jpg
Old 03-11-2008, 12:50 PM

Toxik is on a distinguished road

When setting up a new system, would you guys buy a box quantity and hope for what your looking for, or would you pick them individually? I can see the later being a more expensive way to go.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:16 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

J&L gives you the box price just based on weight. You can hand pick what you want for the box price. I ALWAYS hand pick.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:45 PM

Blue Ram is on a distinguished road

Watch out for aiptasia. I purchased all of my rock from existing tanks from members and being my first reef tank, I was not totally aware of the nuisance aiptasia can be in a small tank and almost impossible to be rid of.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Rene

Im looking at getting some used rock. lt looks dirty. Would this be ok if I cooked it?

Last edited by Rene; 03-13-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:48 PM

Phanman is on a distinguished road

If you cooked it for a few months then you will have no problem with your LR.

3x20g Display Established June 08|Koralia nano, 1, 4|Euroreef Skimmer|250W MH retro kit|Mag 18 return|RODI
120g Display Established Jan 1, 09|Vortech MP40|Koralia 4|I-Tech 100 w Tunze 9410.04A|Aquactinics Constellation 7x54W|Mag 18 return|RODI