Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-17-2006, 08:50 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road
Default Wireless Router Nerds! I need you. (D-Link DI-624 Input)

I never knew how much of a pain in the behind it would be to select a wireless router. Between Linksys and D-Link, I dunno who is better... or if one even is better than the other.

I did buy a D-Link DI-624 today though... and just did a quick search and the reviews are either A) People hate it. or B) People love it. Kinda makes me regret the purchase, but the reviews are so conflicting.

The main problem seems to be that the connection is dropped very frequently, and that the router needs constant resetting.

Does anyone here use one? Do you have any problems with it?? I want quality and the least amount of hassle, as I understand setting up a wireless router can be quite a pain.

I have looked at the Linksys models, the WRT(forget the rest) .. and they seem to have similar reviews... but more good than bad I'd say.

Thanks in advance for any input and advise.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:06 PM

DanG is on a distinguished road

Have you looked at netgear? I have one and love it. I reset it maybe once every other month.

For constant dropping of the connection, do you have the newest firmware on the router? Have you tried changing the channel it broadcasts on? Is it near anything else that's electrical? Laser printer, cordless phone, etc? Do you have a 2.4GHz cordless phone in your house? It could be on the same channel as your router.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG
Have you looked at netgear? I have one and love it. I reset it maybe once every other month.

For constant dropping of the connection, do you have the newest firmware on the router? Have you tried changing the channel it broadcasts on? Is it near anything else that's electrical? Laser printer, cordless phone, etc? Do you have a 2.4GHz cordless phone in your house? It could be on the same channel as your router.
The router hasn't been installed yet. I just bought it though, as I have a "Source by Circuit City" right nextdoor to work. I went in and this was recommended (I am a first time wireless router buyer/user) . I *assumed* they all should work effectively without glitches.. then I read that this router has a baaaaad rep. for dropped connections and frequent resets.

Just wanted to see if it's true by other users (if there even are any on here)

I suppose it could be a number of various things causing a dropped connection though... but it seems to be a very big problem for most people using this router.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:36 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I used on in my office, it is a piece of crap, I spent many hours fixing network problems and getting disconnected. I ended up hard-wiring my network out of frustration. Return it.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:44 PM

Hmm

They don't seem to be user friendly at all.

Should I go with a Linksys?? If so, which model!? Therei s reviews saying that even Linksys is a bad make.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:06 PM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

I really don't like the Dlink stuff at all, it is a price brand nothing else.

Linksys has had some issues lately as well, no question about that. It's a pretty tough call right now, you could always give the Netgear stuff a try.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter
I really don't like the Dlink stuff at all, it is a price brand nothing else.

Linksys has had some issues lately as well, no question about that. It's a pretty tough call right now, you could always give the Netgear stuff a try.
Yeah, I am in the process of setting up my wireless router right now.

It's worth a shot I guess... I'll let you know how it works.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:18 AM

I am now using my laptop and have a wireless connection

I guess we'll see how the router does. It's in my basement, and I am in the kitchen and the connection status is "Very Good" It's at 54mbps. I also have a wireless phone in the room right near the router, not sure if that makes much of a difference or not.

I'll let you guys know what my D-Link experience is like.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:05 AM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road

I have the D-Link 624. Its ok, but not the greatest (though its pretty cheap nowadays).

I too get dropped signals, but I've never had any problems where it needed constant resetting. I think a lot of it (dropped signals) has to do with where you put the router. Mine, unfortunatly, is in the corner of a room in my aptartment on the opposite side of where my office is.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:41 AM

Canadbis is on a distinguished road

I have a couple wireless networks running and I find the netgear to be the best for the buck, but haven't had any problems with dlink (no more then what you pay for) just stay away from linksys for now, they are having lots of problems

For home it is not worth the money but if it was a business I would say go with SonicWall. very pricey tho

Yo Mama's so ugly, she scares people with the lights OFF