Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-11-2008, 01:57 AM

Ian is on a distinguished road
Default Ideas?

I got home last night to find my branching frogspawn was dead. It looked fine 12 hours before now all 5 heads are now gone completely, no tissue is lefton any stocks. I have had it for about 3 months and it has been in the same location for 6 -8 weeks.

All my parameters are fine and everything else is looking great.
I have done 2 25% water changes since yesterday and continue to check parameters ever few hours and all seems well.

Any ideas what could have happened?

Old 10-11-2008, 02:21 AM

Kostas is on a distinguished road

hey i'm sorry to hear that -

my frogspawn for the last two days have not opened up fully and i am worried it might die - did you notice yours doing that also or did it just die with no sign of it?
Old 10-11-2008, 04:59 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Without knowing anything else and not seeing beforehand, but my guess is brown jelly disease. Onset is quick and sudden, and rather complete. Ie., it only takes a few hours to melt the flesh away. I can't remember if it's protozoan or bacterial .. Euphyllia sp. (torch, frogspawn, hammer, etc.) is rather prone to this disease.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:02 AM

Ian is on a distinguished road

thanks for that. yeah it was openig fully the day before I did notice one head was a little small but didn't really think it was much more than just a coral pouting....next time I got a chance to really look at my tank bright white bare bracnches. Good news is no signs of any more losses and another partial water change today.