Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-09-2008, 08:39 PM

michika is on a distinguished road
Default Geothermal heating & cooling - Calgary

Is anyone in the Calgary area doing this, or thinking of doing this? (http://www.canren.gc.ca/prod_serv/in...d=150&PgId=769 ) I'm considering it for our new house, and wanted some first hand opinions or information about experiences.

I'm looking at it for a few reasons, 1) I want to put in a very large tank into my house, 2) I hear it can reduce the cost of your utilities, 3) eco-friendly is always nice.

I suppose I want to know if it really is cost-efficient, or if the time to recoup your initial investment is really far off. I also want to know how people have faired with it in Calgary and its surrounding areas.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:11 PM

Phanman is on a distinguished road

There is a few ppl over at RC that are doing it with titanium tubing and an auger. Looks promising, check it out in the DIY section.

3x20g Display Established June 08|Koralia nano, 1, 4|Euroreef Skimmer|250W MH retro kit|Mag 18 return|RODI
120g Display Established Jan 1, 09|Vortech MP40|Koralia 4|I-Tech 100 w Tunze 9410.04A|Aquactinics Constellation 7x54W|Mag 18 return|RODI
Old 03-09-2008, 09:20 PM

Zylumn is on a distinguished road

We are renovating a 28 year old house and wanted to go eco friendly. Through my extensive studies I found it would take 8 to 10 years to pay for itself using geothermal or solar/wind and at that time it would most likely need to be replaced. Our plan now is to ensure we are capable to go this route in the future when its 90% cheaper and the Govt. is willing to jump in with some major contribution, instead of a few hundred $ here and there. Let us know what you decide and pics for the inquiring mind.
Kevin
Old 03-09-2008, 09:33 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

I'm in a subdivision but still gave geothermal a look when first planning. Was a few years ago but then seemed yes, energy costs are cheaper than conventional heating/cooling but I figured probably wouldn't be seeing the saving for about 15 years or more due to the up-front costs for boring and equipment.

Was around the same time I figured just go the HE furnace started looking into the geo-loop for the tank cooling. As the lot wasn't graded had lots of time to plan. Ran the tank the first summer and easily kept temperature in range just with muffins fans and now since central air see no reason for burying pipe in the backyard.

My comments for geo-loop on the tank are for a 145g with 2x250W lights. I could see it being a use for cooling a larger tank specially in the winter to prevent humidity or moisture problems, though a cheap bathroom fan in the fish room or a HRV unit would do lot's as well.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:57 PM

Ephraim is on a distinguished road

My parents out in Saskatchewan went with geothermal years ago when they built a new house. I beleive it was about 15 years ago. It has long paid for itself, especially in a setting where you have to have the gas delivered. It's worked very well for them over the years and they have only had to fire the electric backup element once when it was like -40 or something stupid cold.

It's really nice not being dependant on gas prices. I think the initial cost is well warrented, additional costs are minimal electric for running pumps etc.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:04 AM

So I guess what I am hearing, and please step in a correct me if I'm off, is that it is worth it for a much larger tank, e.g. 1500-2000g total volume. However if you are doing it just for your house it will take a long time to recoupe the costs of having it installed.

So in regards to the cost and recouping it, is it just the initial setup and material that makes the cost so hight?

I'm really looking forwards to trying to reduce my electric and gas consumption for when I get this new system up and running. I'm looking at solar pannels right now, but this seemed to be the most beneficial overall.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:36 AM

I was getting ballpark quotes ranging 15-20K for my house. Since in the city I would need to go vertical so about 5K of the quotes was for the bore, that portion might be lower with horizontal.

A geo-loop for a large tank might be an idea worth considering and is basically a DIY.

Solar panels are a good idea if your thinking water heating not electricity. Using panels to pre-heat water for radiant floor heating or hot water tanks makes sense.

Last edited by mark; 03-10-2008 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:45 AM

What is happening right now is that I'm looking at older houses that pretty much require serious updating. No hazard or flaws, just places that are out of date. I've given up on nice new homes that are up to date and pretty at this point. Since I'm going to have to do a pile of remodelling and updating, I might as well go the extra mile when and where I can.

Were the quotes from companies who specialized in these types of upgrades/improvements? What else was in the quote, aside from labor and the bore, just materials and assembly?
Old 03-10-2008, 02:03 AM

i2ik is on a distinguished road

I know that my boss and 3 of my friends are using that in their houses and are really happy of the result. It does a very big difference if you own a big house! I am sure its a really good investment and that is something i would considere when it comes to build a house.
420G Front Starfire Glass Reef Tank, 150G Costum made Sump, Sifligoi 3x400W + ACLS Unit, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech pump, 3xBattery Back Up, 4xWavy Sea+, Prolifux Wireless Controlleur, Oceans Motions 4 Ways, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/Di
Old 03-10-2008, 02:09 AM

I had called some Heating companies out of the phone book but also talked to a couple of Geo companies at one of the Homes Shows at the Agricom. Never got in to specifics hence the ballpark quotes but would have been asking for an idea on a about 2000 sqft, new construction house in Edmonton. Price would have been for complete turn-key system.

If you're doing renos check into grants from Province or Federal programs. Often hear of them for energy saving or updating older homes for efficiencies. They might be able to knock the price back.