Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-09-2007, 09:43 PM

JoelV is on a distinguished road
Cool Setting up a new 185 reef tank.

I am new to reefing and have been studying now for 4 weeks getting all the info i can gain. What I am lacking in experience i am hoping to make up for with knowledge with your help in this thread, I will post some pictures as they come available, the tank arrives from Sea star on Tuesday and live rock will be in from Jakarta later in the week. I already have a 100 gallon tank going but its in poor shape. I have set up a 100 gallon tub with skimmer to prepare the water for curing the rock when it arrives I will just do frequent water changes till the ammonia spike is over I am hoping the die off will be small as the rock will be received with in 32 hours of it being shipped, please share with me your experiance as things progress.

Last edited by JoelV; 03-24-2008 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Hi Joel,

Welcome to Canreef

I will move this to the main reef forum. You can also start your own tank build thread in the Tank Journal forum, if you wish.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:38 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

congrats on the tank and congrats on becoming a member on a amazing board. Our family welcomes you....
Old 12-09-2007, 10:53 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelV View Post
the tank arrives from Sea star on Tuesday and live rock will be in from Jakarta later in the week.
is this going to be at your house or at the store? If it is at the store I will stop by this week and see how your doing.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:10 AM

Im setting it up in our Victoria location,we already have a 100 gallon running, for others intrested in stopping by please refer to our website for the address.

Last edited by JoelV; 12-10-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:01 AM

So here it is a 76 x 24 x 25 built buy H20 Aquarium.(Formely Sea star). I mapped out on paper how I'm going to set up the feed and the drains went and bought all the fittings and thats as far as I got today, Here is also a pic of our 100 gallon that we transfered down from our Nanaimo location it suffered global warming( chiller not turned on) on its first day in Victoria, the only thing that survived was the Marron Clown fish, hermit crabs and all the stuff living in the sand, it got up to 96 degrees when we came in the next day. We stabilized the tank and added in some new fish and some frags. the Coraline that all turned white is coming back real good now and its only been 4 weeks. I welcome any questions and advice. I'm hoping not to make to many mistakes setting up the new tank but some times its the only way I can learn anything. Cost of education can sometimes be high.

Last edited by JoelV; 12-12-2007 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:30 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

The first thing you have to do is unhook that canister filter and give it to me for my fresh water tank looks good, I'll try to get in this week and see it in person, I am in the middle of a hockey tourney so not sure of my timeings yet.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:45 AM

Today, I removed the sump and drove it back over to H20 Aquarium>I Had them increase the size of the pump intake hole to 1.5 inch to better accommodate the sequence dart Pump. They did it free of charge, even though it was my fault for not specifying the size,(thanks guys!)I also had to take a trip back to the Irrigation place to change over some fittings, changed my mind a bit on the plumbing.
I had a customer today who had to have my Protein skimmer, so I sold it It was a Pacific coast PS3000. I got few more models coming in so Ill have it replaced soon enough.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:19 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Lots of potential with that baby

Greg
Old 12-15-2007, 12:07 AM

Today I finished plumbing the drains I used spa flex on the drain ends so I can easy access them for putting on filter bags. I started the manifold for the supply, it will accommodate loc-line outlets. I am coming out of the pump at 1 1/2 inch's and then going though a Y fitting and into two 1
inch spa flex into the manifold then 3/4 lockline outlets. thats it till Monday.