Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-23-2008, 08:47 AM

Kostas is on a distinguished road
Default Ok experienced reef keepers…I need your help!

I have a 4year old 90g tank with 150lbs pound of live rock – (not a reef tank - but one day might be when I update my lights) I bought a cooperband butterfly fish two weeks ago that will not eat anything (I have tried a lot of things) – the cooperband did clear up all my aptasia I had in my tank

Now to the issue I just bought about 50lbs of live rock today (for very cheap), but they are covered in MAJANOS (after doing a lot of research online most reef keepers clam it’s the devil and very hard to get rid of some don’t mind them – but they are not reef safe)
So I was going to dry out the live rock covered in Majanos for a few week to kill them all off – But I couldn’t help noticed that the rocks had some green mushrooms and star polyps on them ect…

If you are still reading this… here is my dilemma… What would you do if you were me, I need your help 

(1) Do I try and add some of the live rock in my 90g in hopes my cooperband might eat them and not die of starvation

(2)don’t even dare adding any of the Majanos covered live rock in my 90g because if the fish doesn’t eat the Majanos, then I just added live rock with Majanos in my established tank (that is free of Majanos) (yet has aptasia – which I hate and why I try and keep a buterfly fish)

(3) Just dry out live rock that I bought for a few weeks killing all the Majanos – who cares that I kill even the corals that are on it, the risk of spreading Majanos in my 90g is not worth it

(4) just add the live rock, I got Aptasia in the tank, Majanos not much different?

So what do you guys and gals thing I should do???

Note: right now I have the 50lbs of Majanos live rock rock in a 30g with premix salt and a heater and weak lights and very cheap filter (which is why I can’t just throw my cooperband in that tank) – I need to act fast if I plan to save those corals also..if I can.... the Majanos are EVERYWHERE!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

My friend had a 200g tank FULL of majano. He spent days with a dull pair of scissors yanking them out one by one. The dull scissors would grip the Majano but not cut them, making them the perfect tool for this task. It was a PITA but it worked.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

A search on copperbands should bring up my thread on feeding them store bought "manilla" clams. Mine came from Superstore. I had pics of them eating it.

Many say they never bothered their ornamental clams after feeding these but mine did. However he did before, so I dont blame him for that.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:18 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Frag the mushrooms off the rock then cook it.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 09-23-2008, 01:36 PM

Canuckgod420 is on a distinguished road

inject them with scalding hot water..worked for me.
180G tank, custom DIY stand, Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, EuroReef CS6-1 and Vertex in 180 skimmers, 1/4 HP chiller, Tunze wavebox, 40G sump, and 40G refugium. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57451
Old 09-23-2008, 01:47 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
+1
Old 09-23-2008, 02:27 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Definitely wouldn't introduce a known pest into your 90g.

Quarantine the rock in the 30g until it's majanos free. Deal with them manually (cutting, pulling, burning) or chemically (kalk, vinegar). Don't need much light to keep the mushrooms going.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:35 PM

i have bought Manila clam from superstore...someone on here gave me good adivse to freeze them, then thaw one a day and with an esatic band just attach it to my magnetic glass cleanner to move it to a good spot in my ank..... i put one a day in my tank(i leave it in for hours), my cooper band won't eat any of it.

that is why i thought, well maybe he can eat my Majonos?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Definitely wouldn't introduce a known pest into your 90g.

Quarantine the rock in the 30g until it's majanos free. Deal with them manually (cutting, pulling, burning) or chemically (kalk, vinegar). Don't need much light to keep the mushrooms going.

so you don't think i should take the live rock out of my 30g right now and dry it out? would'nt that be the easies way to kill off all the Majanos???
Old 09-23-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
so i can pull the mushrooms off the rock?

then you want me to cook the remaining Majanos covered live rock in boiling water? is that was cook it means?