Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-19-2008, 05:11 PM

zoomin is on a distinguished road
Default Details of the "low tide method" of tank moving?

I've read a few accounts on here of some reefers moving their tanks with sand, rock and a little water still in.

I think it was described as the "low tide simulation" method of moving

I have a 90g that I need to move (maybe even this wknd) and this sounds like the way to go. My sand bed is about 2-3 inches, so I guess that would leave about 5 inches of water in the tank, plus the sand and most of the rock. I am guessing that would be manageable by four people?

i was thinking that I would cut some plywood and slip it under, making some sort of lip around the base of the tank so that is doesn't slip of the ply.

I would take the fish out into 20g rubbermaids (two needed I would think). Save all the rest of the water in buckets. Probably move the anemones and corals high up on rocks into rubbermaids, etc.

Any other tank moving tips greatly appreciated.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:45 PM

Matt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Matt

A 90 with 5 inches of water, a sand bed, and LR... likely weighs a bit more than 500 pounds. Add the effect of sloshing and weight transfer, and any one guy could wind up holding 200lbs or more. I wouldn't mind a short lift, down to a cart or moving blanket, but I wouldn't carry it far that way, unless you've got three very fit friends, with strong backs.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:03 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
A 90 with 5 inches of water, a sand bed, and LR... likely weighs a bit more than 500 pounds. Add the effect of sloshing and weight transfer, and any one guy could wind up holding 200lbs or more. I wouldn't mind a short lift, down to a cart or moving blanket, but I wouldn't carry it far that way, unless you've got three very fit friends, with strong backs.
Got agree moving that sounds like instant back problems
Levi
Old 01-19-2008, 07:28 PM

skylord is on a distinguished road

Low Tide moving is ussually researved for smaller tanks. What your thinking of doing will put a lot of stress on the tank and your friends. I have moved a 33g this way but ALL the rock was removed and as much water as possible then when I got it to the vehicle I added water just to cover the sand. No way would I attempt this with even a 75g. And I would be surprised if what you want to do is less than 700lbs. A couple of rubbermaids....less than $30, a wiped out back is forever. A shattered tank.........just not worth the risk.

Scott
Old 01-19-2008, 08:53 PM

scub steve is on a distinguished road

dont do it a person that i know moved a 230 gal tank with a bit of sand and water in it they just slid it across the floor well when they filled it back up he had 230 gal on his floor..I think its because there was a slight bend in the tank from moving it with water in it and when it was filled back up it exploded
Old 01-19-2008, 10:19 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 33G tank crack a few months ago because I thought moving it with sand in it would be ok. The bottom cracked right away. It wasn't even that heavy...maybe about 150lbs. Don't risk it. How old is the sand bed? This might be a great time to replace a deep sand bed if its a few years old anyways.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:14 AM

super7 is on a distinguished road

I would put everything in tubs, garbage cans and anything else that holds water then move it. I wouldn't put anything in the tanks while moving it.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:20 PM

Robw is on a distinguished road

I once helped move a 90 with the sand and live rock in it. We had to move it up a flight of stairs with a 90 degree turn it. That was a pain in the back! Took 4 guys to move it. This was before I knew anything about salt water tanks (actually it was that tank that got me hooked) and would never move a tank with the rock or sand in it again.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

take the time to empty the tank and then move it start early cause it'll probally take you a whole day to do the transaction...
I would not run the chance of moving the tank with dsb like others here have said it's dangerous and backbreaking, with the extra 2hrs you spend ripping it down could save you hundreds in headaches and backaches jm2c.

Chris

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 01-20-2008, 07:07 PM

zoomin is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the wise words everyone.

I was having a tough time picturing how that would work, but was going from a memory of a thread I read, etc.

Luckily it has become less urgent to move this tank, so i can wait and plan to do it properly.