Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-25-2010, 09:02 PM

Polscot is on a distinguished road
Default Help with algae identification

this is my 3rd tank set up and the first time this has happened tank is 2 week old, the water came from a existing system, skimmer in back, cheato, chemi-pure pureigen and carbon also in back its a 29-biocube

ive got a algea issue should i do a cycle of Chemi-clean red slime remover or wait it out

browngreen (with bubbles) algae on ALL the rocks and a flourecent green on the walls

10 hermits
cleaner shrimp
giant turbo snail
3 clowns
orange spot mantis shrimp

Old 09-25-2010, 09:19 PM

MrGoodbytes is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to MrGoodbytes

Looks like you have dinos (dinoflagellates - the red strings). I had a battle with these earlier this year. There are a few methods that people suggest to rid aquariums of these but I don't think they ever fully leave. Make sure you have zero phosphates for one. I doubt you have anything in there that eats them. A GFO reactor would probably help. I didn't have one so I ended up tearing the reef apart, baster blasting every rock in tank water, and reassembling. A 2 day blackout may work also. Some suggest increasing the alk to higher levels like 10 or above. In the end, after about 6 months of fighting, they diminished when I got a decent skimmer but have never 100% vanished).

You mention things came from another system but you didn't mention if the rock did, which is what's most important (cycled vs uncycled).
Old 09-25-2010, 09:30 PM

the rock was baked and bleached and bakes and dryed, so there was absolutly no life on it
Old 09-25-2010, 10:51 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

just looks like you had some die off during the move and the tank is going thru a mini cycle... thats just my two pennies.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:27 AM

Riptide is on a distinguished road

Please excuse me if I'm missing something here....You have had the tank for 2 weeks, using dead rock (no bacteria culture) and have that much livestock in there already? I would be doing some small daily water changes and keeping an eye on amonia.

I'm by no means an expert (just throwing a posibility out there) but could this just be new tank syndrome with an overly stocked tank and no bacteria to remedy it yet?

also how old are the bulbs and what kind

Last edited by Riptide; 09-26-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:50 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Please excuse me if I'm missing something here....You have had the tank for 2 weeks, using dead rock (no bacteria culture) and have that much livestock in there already? I would be doing some small daily water changes and keeping an eye on amonia.

I'm by no means an expert (just throwing a posibility out there) but could this just be new tank syndrome with an overly stocked tank and no bacteria to remedy it yet?

also how old are the bulbs and what kind
would have to agree with no "live" rock and that much livestock your system is fighting a losing battle personally wouldn't add fish in two weeks . Post your water parameters their very important in helping determine the cause. Is it on your sand and glass, the bubbles I mean?? Do you have a powerhead or job filter???
Old 09-26-2010, 05:55 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Also if you don't scrApe your glass reguraly it will stain it green like on your sides then it becomes hard to clean , wherever light hits your glass allow room for cleaning in the first year you may see all sorts of algae bloom's. Oh and ps I hope Its not dyno's hard to tell from pic on my phone cheers and goodluck
Old 09-27-2010, 10:53 PM

got a powerful pwerhead theres nod ead zones for sure, parameters are all 0 or super close to, ive done a chemi clean red slime clean and its all stopped forming and starting to deteriorate
Old 09-28-2010, 12:02 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I've watched a few people set up tanks with barren white base rock. They all get that same thing happening. Its a natural progression. The fastest and most unsightly algae and bacteria are first to colonize. As the tank matures and if you look after it well they will be out competed by more desirable types.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 09-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I had the same thing in my tank. I thought it was diatoms not sure but I left it alone and it cleared up almost overnight after a couple weeks of the bubbles/slimey algae.

Now I've added a lot of new dry rock and some sand to my new tank. This is showing up a little bit again. I think it's a new tank thing and nothing to worry about.