Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-19-2009, 06:29 AM

brickwood is on a distinguished road
Default T5 Lighting

So here is one for everyone. I have asked a lot of people the same question. I am still undecided. T5 lighting. Should you be able to grow SPS? I have only recently gone up to T5's from PC's. 48" 4 bulb. I have noticed a huge difference in my softies. Has anyone had success with SPS under T5's?
Old 01-19-2009, 06:42 AM

Keri is on a distinguished road

Yup, you can keep some sps under the right kind of t5 lighting (how many bulbs? is it HO? what kind of reflectors? How deep is the tank?)

I was keeping quite a few montis, millis and acros under 8xt5HO before I recently switched to MH because I wanted to keep some of the higher-light demanding pieces

Monti's are a good starter sps, a little more forgiving than some. (particularily the digitatas)

some softies, like leather and zoas have been thought to inhibit the growth of sps, which is why some reefers don't do mixed reefs... I do, but I run carbon, and maybe my sps suffers for it but I like my softies so I keep 'em.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:19 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

You can keep any type of SPS under t5's. BUT it all comes down to the fixture and your bulb choice. If your fixture is a cheaper t5ho one with a single reflector i would say no, but individual reflectors i would say yes. Than with bulbs you need to run a higher end bulb. cheaper bulbs don't give off the same light as a higher end bulb.

Thats a quick some up of the answer. you could literally write a book on T5 lighting and growing coral and how it compares to MH.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:48 PM

Stones is on a distinguished road

I rely soley on a T5 fixture to light my 90 gallon SPS reef. After switching from metal halides, I haven't noticed any adverse effects and most of my acros are improving in colour since I made the switch. Like the previous posts stated, so long as the fixture has individual reflectors you should be able to keep any type of SPS coral. Active cooling makes a big difference as well and improves light output and bulb longevity.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:09 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Short answer....yes. 16 bulbs total mind you. Colors faded a bit when I switched from MH but are coming back now.

260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694

Last edited by fishytime; 01-19-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:26 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

The T5 vs. MH debate brings me much pleasure

I run a 6 bulb tek on my 90 and have been more than happy with it. After using MH I just prefer the T5 and I would have a hard time going back to MH.

I have kept SPS under them just fine - growth and colour (allthough I am out of the SPS game, after my last tank crash) I have three clams that are very happy at the bottom of my tank.. and these are cretures that I had always read needed at least 250W of MH to thrive.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 01-19-2009, 06:19 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

I feel the same as others that have written on here, I've been running t5's for years now and I have kept everything from some of the most light demanding to the not so much light needing SPS with no problems. All my SPS has always been located in the mid to upper range in the tank, with my birdsnest in the lower 2/3rds of the tank and everything has shown growth with my 4x 54 watt 48 inch tek fixture. I have recently added 2 more t5's just to get some additional light at the back of the tank as the lighting holder makes my unit sit closer to the front of my tank then totally center.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

I keep sps with t5 aswell 8 bulb with 24" deep tank most high requiring sps is kept 4in from the top the rest at mid level.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 01-20-2009, 05:32 AM

reeferious is on a distinguished road
Default t5

switch to t5 and you wont regret it. recently switch from 2x250 mh to 6x4 and 4x4 t5 on my 90 and things are just blooming although i do stagger photoperiod 6 hrs with 10 bulb, 8 hrs with 8 bulbs and 10 hrs with 6 bulbs. no heat issues even during dog days of summer and coral colors are amazing. you really should experiment with different bulbs until you are satisfied with what you feel is the best combo for your tank.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:43 AM

lobsterboy is on a distinguished road

i found a major improvement in color in my sps using T-5.